USB to Serial Cable

bfordfl

I have the above cable but I can't find a driver program that will let this cable work with the Vista program. Programs I have tried will not work with the Vista operating system. I changed the compatability of the Programming Editor to Win XP but that didn't seem to help.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Bill

bfordfl

USB to Serial drivers

Thanks for the quick reply. The instructions indicate that it will work with Win up to XP. Unfortunately, my laptop has Win Home Premium Vista. Will this driver work with Vista. The software that came with the cable would not work with Vista. Therefore I need a driver that will work with Vista.
Bill

kewakl

you didn't *really* mention which adapter you have.
I have a Belkin adapter. Does NOT work with Picaxe.
I bought the AXE027 and installed the rev-ed driver. no problems with programming. it is a bit high, but I think PicAxe is worth supporting!!!!!!!!!

The belkin must NOT support the BREAK signal. May not be an FDTI chipset.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
If you have a USB adapter (USB010) the driver version 2.0.0.7 which is on our website will work with Vista.

bfordfl

USB to Serial

The USB to Serial cable I have has blue color connectors but without a manufacturer name. The cable also has a silver shield covered with clear tubing.
As you recommened, I searched for the driver for USB010 and USB010 Driver 2.0.0.7. Everything returned as 0 found.
Can you guide me where to find the driver? If this doesn't work, what cable/software can I purchase that will work with the Vista Operating System and what is the price?
Thanks for your support,
Bill

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
The driver download can be found by clicking the "Software & Drivers" link at the top right of the page. The 2.0.0.7 driver appears to be "USB010 USB-Serial Adapter - USB Driver for XP only (logo certified)" ...

http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/software/wd_pl2303_v2007.zip

Both AXE027 and USB010 USB-to-Serial cables are supported by Vista. AXE027 is the recommended USB to 3.5mm jack. These can be purchesed through www.tech-supplies.co.uk which has latest pricing info.

Last edited by a moderator:

westaust55

The USB to Serial cable I have has blue color connectors but without a manufacturer name. The cable also has a silver shield covered with clear tubing.
As you recommened, I searched for the driver for USB010 and USB010 Driver 2.0.0.7. Everything returned as 0 found.
Can you guide me where to find the driver? If this doesn't work, what cable/software can I purchase that will work with the Vista Operating System and what is the price?
Thanks for your support,
Bill
Can you elaborate a little more on the cable.

1.Where did you buy it? :confused:
if not Rev Ed, can you provide a link to their website

2. Is it USB to a 9pin DB9 PC serial comms type conenctor, :confused:
(this is akin to the AXE010 cable)
or
is it USB to a stereo 3.5mm phono type plug ? :confused:
(this is akin to the AXE027 cable)

3. Do you know which chipset is used in the USB end of the cable? :confused:

inglewoodpete

You should be able to tell what chipset the USB cable is using if you have the cable plugged in and go to Start>ControlPanel>System>Hardware(Tab) then press Hardware Manager button.

Expand the Universal Serial Bus devices in the Hardware Manager. One of the USB entries should identify the USB-to-Serial driver.

bfordfl

I purchased the cable and software from Ebay. It is a USB to 9 pin Serial connector with software from Beagle. The software unfortunately that it would only work with O.S. up to XP, not Vista. A followup note gave instructions o n modifications to make it work with Vista. I tried these but it still does not work with Picaxe Programming Editor As suggested I tried to find it under Device Manager, but it isn't there. I think the simpliest approach woud be to buy the cable from Rev. UK. That way I'm sure it would work. Thanks for all your replies and help Bill. .

westaust55

Since you are using USB, unless there are other requirements for the DB9 type conenctor, suggest you seriously consider buying a Rev Ed AXE027 USB to 3.5mm phone serial cable.

Even with this configuration, some alternative makes do work :)
but there have been members who purchased non Rev Ed versions which lead to their frustration. :rolleyes:

bfordfl

USB to DB9 Cable

Can you or others confirm that the AXE027 will work with the Vista operating system?
Bill

slimplynth

I've got an AXE 027 working on a recently purchased (on the never, never) Laptop, running Vista Home Bog Standard... Rev Ed USB cable is perfect, wouldn't go anywhere else at any price - oh ok, obviously I would if the asking price was 50 pence but I'd want to see the senior/mods & tech on here say it was the deal of the century first.

inglewoodpete

bfordfl,
If you are still having the problem, can you revisit post #9 and post the results? This could tell you if you're on a "hiding for nothing".

Peter