usb driver install failed

kenmac

Hi folks,
I recently decided to change to usb for the purpose of programmimg the picaxes.
I have been completely unsuccessful in installing the appropriate driver software.
First I tried on a laptop with Win ME - it wouldn't "see" the driver even when actually pointed to!
The usb device was recognised.
Then I tried on a Win XP Pro PC (using the appropriate driver) - same result.
In this case it recognised the AXE027 device as such.
It just says that it was unable to locate the driver!

The drivers files were downloaded via this Forum.
Just in case their was a corruption in the download, I repeated the downloads.
The procedure I used was via System Devices, Install Driver etc.
When I select the option to "search", it correctly finds/displays the path to the driver, but then it comes up with a "no result!"
In the first instances I used a usb memory stick for the files, but later tried storing them in a folder on the PC - no difference.

I note that some others have had a similar experience.
It seems that I now have a usb programming cable that cannot be used!
Is there some detail that I may have missed on this?

kenmac

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
The driver downloads are zip files, you must unzip them into a working folder (e.g. on your desktop) before running the new hardware wizard. If correctly unzipped the wizard will indeed find the drivers required.

For the XP system:

please work through the step by step instructions in
http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/docs/axe027.pdf

When you view the AXE027 in device manager (as described in the help file for viewing the allocated COM port) is the AXE027 showing in the Ports (COM & LPT) section? If not you must start again and reinstall the drivers as driver installation was not completed correctly.

kenmac

I understand about the unzipped files.
I browse and locate the required folder and it is displayed in the box, then tell it to search for it.
The result is always " ... cannot locate the software for this device...." !
I dug out the original CD which also has the required drivers and used that as the location - same result!
The files are there - why aren't the system's recognising them?
As I said before, one PC is Windows Me and the other is Windows XP Pro.
I am using the correct folder in each case - no joy!

kenmac

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
There is an issue with your system somewhere. Going back to the start, what does your usb cable look like and where did you buy it - is it actually an AXE027?

kenmac

Sorry about the delay in replying.
My main PC went up in smoke (literally) and I've only just connected again after a week's refurbishing the PC.

Technical:
The USB cable is the correct AXE 027, purchased from the Australian distributor direct.
It does the same thing on two different PC's.
The XP Pro PC recognises it and correctly identifies it - it just says that it can't find the software for it, even when it is told where it is (path correctly displayed in the text box)!
It wil be sometime before I can get back to working on it because of my main PC disaster.

kenmac

kenmac

OK, I've tried again (several times!) at installing the USB driver on my Me laptop.
The result is always the same - whatever I do the machine always says "...cannot locate the software...etc" .
I tried from the CD and also from the downloaded copy.
I'm out of ideas on this - it seems that I have a USB cable that I can't use!
Any helpfull suggestions ?

kenmac

sputz

You most likely have a non rev-ed approved usb cable. Is there a number/brand name on the USB cable?

slimplynth

Sorry about the delay in replying.
My main PC went up in smoke (literally) and I've only just connected again after a week's refurbishing the PC.

Technical:
The USB cable is the correct AXE 027, purchased from the Australian distributor direct.
It does the same thing on two different PC's.
The XP Pro PC recognises it and correctly identifies it - it just says that it can't find the software for it, even when it is told where it is (path correctly displayed in the text box)!
It wil be sometime before I can get back to working on it because of my main PC disaster.

kenmac
@Sputz:
Kenmac says its an Axe027...

Kenmac when you plug the cable in, it automatically starts the new device/install driver wizard? and still fails to install from there?

My only suggestion is that you goto device manager and completely uninstall the AXE027, reboot then start a fresh. Plug cable in and hopefully the auto detect will start the install driver wizard.

apologies if you've already tried that, sounds really frustrating, sorry couldn't be of more help:confused:

Dippy

Sorry to suggest something silly: I take it you have unzipped drivers and done the running before sticking in the USB thing?

kenmac

Summarising:
I've tried all I know to install the software for the AXE027 on a Windows Me and a Windows XP Pro machine.
The result is the same on both - ".... cannot locate the software ......".
When the USB cable is plugged into the Me laptop, it doesn't automatically say that it sees new hardware, but looking in System/Hardware Devices, it just shows it as a "?USB Device" with no driver.
If it is plugged into the XP Pro PC, it detects it and correctly identifies it as AXE027.
So, as it is able to identify it, that must mean it can access/read the USB cable's internal memory which contains the programmed ID info.
I assume it is then looking for some matching code in the "pointed to" driver folder, and obviously doesn't see it.

I don't really understand how this works, but I don't seem to have any options left - I can't try another AXE027 cable, as the distributor is on the other side of the country.
Oh well, it seemed like a good idea at the time, but I will now continue to use the Serial cable - hopefully I'll still have a Serial outlet available in the future.

kenmac

BCJKiwi

All I can suggest is basically what has gone before. I don't have one of these cables so am working from the documentation and knowledge of windows.

Uninstall the hardware device using Device manager.
restart the PC.

In the Program Files/programming editor/datasheets folder there is a USB10.pdf file.
Print it off and follow it to the letter.

If there is still no joy in XP,in device manager, right click on the entry and click on Update driver. See if you can point it to the correct location for the CD, or for the downloaded and unzipped files.

ME is not as robust as XP in auto detection, specially for USB so do not expect it to behave as well. You may also need to update the USB hardware drivers in Windows itself. Do other USB devices work OK in the ME PC?
Follow the 'update driver' method suggestions to see if that solves the problem in ME.

Last edited: