URF reset

Hendriks

I am looking for some help regarding URF/ERF. I would like to reset the URF (SRF) to its original state.

First I bought a ERF and a SRF (cased URF). I installed the driver 'URF_CC1111_USB_Driver.inf' on my laptop (Windows XP pro) but I couldn't get the SRF to communicate to the ERF so I tried different settings by using the URF_XRF_ERF_Wizard and the URF_Configuration_Wizard.

Since I thought I messed something up I next ordered a URF/ERF combo.
This time I plugged the URF in my desktop, running Win7 Pro. Without installing the URF driver Win7 reported that the new hardware was ready to use. Just like that :).
Indeed everything worked. I could receive sertxd from the 28X2 and I could even wireless reprogram the 28X2! It worked with both ERF´s.

Now I would like to get the SRF to do the same thing. Maybe it is broken, maybe I am doing something wrong.
Anyway, I would like to try myself before I ask Techsupplies if I can send it to them to reprogram.

With the SRF plugged in, PE6 gives an error: Hardware not found on COM3 when trying to program the Picaxe. The terminal window shows no activity while the Picaxe is sending sertxd text. With the URF both procedures work no problem.

With the URF/SRF/ERF Configuration Wizard I tried both 'Factory Reset' and 'Program URF/SRF for PICAXE use' options. Didn't help. Clicking on 'Find Baud' produced the message 'Module found on COM3 at 4800 baud'.

Is there anything left that I could try?

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Use the PE6 "URF / SRF Configuration Wizard" and the "Program URF / SRF for PICAXE Use" button.

Hendriks

I tried it. The wizerd reports: URF programmed for PICAXE use.
Sadly the situation remains the same:
'error: Hardware not found on COM3' when trying to program the Picaxe and no receiving text in the terminal window....

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Please could you connect your SRF then run the "URF SRF ERF XRF Wizard".

When the wizard is running: please do not use the "Factory Reset", "Program URF/SRF for PICAXE use" or "Write" buttons.

Select the SRF Com Port and click the "Read" button.

Make note of what values are specified on the "Radio" tab for "Frequency Band" setting plus the value on the "Node" tab for "PanId" setting.

Close the Wizard, connect the URF, and repeat the above.

Finally can you let us know what the "Frequency Band" and "PanId" settings are for each.

Hendriks

Thanks,

On the SRF, the wizard shows Frequency Band 868.3Mhz, PanId: 5AAA, Repeater PanId 5AA5.
On the URF, the readings are the same except for PanId which is 5AA5.

Does this give a clue?

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Thanks. The PAN ID's need to be the same at both ends of the link to enable the two devices to talk to each other.

The Factory Reset PAN ID is : 5AA5
The PAN ID required for PICAXE use is : 5AAA

It seems that 'Programming the SRF for PICAXE use' has worked as it has the expected PAN ID of 5AAA.

It also seems that the URF has been Factory Reset as it has a PAN ID of 5AA5.

That the URF does communicate with the ERF indicates the ERF has also been Factory Reset and also has a PAN ID of 5AA5. Otherwise the ERF and URF could not communicate, and this also explains why the ERF and SRF cannot communicate.

The solution is to reprogram both the ERF and URF for PICAXE use.

Hendriks

That implies that both the URF and ERF have wrong PAN ID's even though they are brand new.

I did not change anything to the URF nor to the ERF, and they worked right out of the box.

So I'm a little reluctant to reprogram these modules.
But I will do it if it is necessary. Is there a way to check the current settings of the ERF before I start to reprogram?

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
It does seem to suggest the ERF and URF were supplied in a Factory Reset state and we will need to investigate further.

You can reprogram the SRF to Factory Reset state which should then allow it to communicate with the ERF as the URF does. That is, with everything having 5AA5 PAN ID settings. Reprogramming to how things should be can be done later.

A "hardware not found" error can still occur even if the modules are communicating, but if the URF programs the PICAXE then so too should the SRF; check using Firmware Check, Clear Program Memory and downloading an 'empty program'.

It may be advisable to close PE before swapping between URF and SRF modules. It may not be necessary but that will ensure there are no issues caused by hot-swapping.

It should be possible to get the ERF to report its settings. I am not sure if we have published example code to do that but I will look into it.

Hendriks

I reprogrammed the SRF to Factory Reset state.
It now communicates with the ERF albeit receiving non-ASCII characters. Changing the baud rate in the terminal makes no difference. Since this 28X2 is running on 16MHz I tried again with a new program like:
Code:
[color=Blue]do
   pause [/color][color=Navy]500
   [/color][color=Blue]sertxd ([/color][color=Red]"trying to send some text over the SRF/ERF connection"[/color][color=Black],[/color][color=Navy]13[/color][color=Black],[/color][color=Navy]10[/color][color=Blue])
loop[/color]
Now at default speed the terminal shows normal text.
Only when trying to download a program over the SRF/ERF gives a Error: Harware not found on COM3.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Now at default speed the terminal shows normal text.
That would confirm ERF to SRF communications are working. It would be logical to believe that SRF to ERF would also work.

Only when trying to download a program over the SRF/ERF gives a Error: Harware not found on COM3.
To test URF to ERF and SRF to ERF communications the best approach is to disconnect the ERF from the PICAXE. Connect power, link CTS to 0V, and link the ERF RX to TX. Anything sent to the URF or SRF using Terminal should be echoed back on the Terminal. This should work with both URF and SRF at any baud rate.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
You can never 'program' a PICAXE chip directly without applying the special PICAXE settings. A 'factory reset' device will always stop PICAXE downloads working (even if normal communication RS232 works).

This is because special (customised) communication routines are required for successful PICAXE programming.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
The PanId can be anything, as along as it is the same at both ends it doesn't matter what it is.
However a 'factory reset' clears out (other, different) settings that are also applied by the 'picaxe configuration'.

When you apply the 'picaxe configuration' it applies several settings, one of which is panID.

We would recommend all devices are set to the 'picaxe configuration', which includes a panID of 5AAA

Obviously new SRF, URF and ERF should all be the same, if they are not then there is an error somewhere.

If factory new ones did not arrive like that we will need to address the issue with the manufacturer, as the agreement is that they will supply all modules preconfigured and tested with this PICAXE specific configuration. We are testing shelf stock now.

Hendriks

To complicate things a bit more:

Using the 'URF_XRF_ERF_Wizard', the button 'Program URF/SRF for PICAXE use' doesn't change the PanID. It remains 5AA5.
In the scroll window it says:
Wake-up COM3 at 4800 baud
+++
OK

ATCH
OK

5AAA
ATID
5AA5
OK
It looks like the attempt to program the PanId '5AAA' didn't work.
Maybe that is the reason why a new URF can have '5AA5' as PanId?

If I try the same with the simplier 'URF_Configuration_Wizard' then the PanId is indeed reprogrammed to '5AAA'