URF/ERF remote programming nearly working, but not fully.

Buzby

Hi,

I need a remote programming facility for my current project, so I dug out my URF and ERF.

The URF/EFR link seems to be working, I can do a firmware check OK, but programming is not working properly.

Small programs load OK, but longer programs time out with a 'Compiler has stopped responding - unknown error.'

What could be wrong ?

My hardware is Module 28X2 vB.2, PE 6.1.0.0, (Compiler v3.4), Win 10 Pro 1083, ERF/URF v0.3

Cheers,

Buzby

Buzby

If I run just the 28X2 compiler it downloads OK, if somewhat slow.

Only when PE6 calls the compiler does the problem occur.

If there a setting somewhere to increase the time that PE6 waits for the compiler to finish ?

Cheers,

Buzby

inglewoodpete

Buzby, I can't help you at all with your situation but I appreciate your updates on the struggle. Clearly, there is very little URF/ERF experience amongst active forum members. A (positive or negative) comment from Technical or hippy would be helpful, though.

Buzby

Clearly, there is very little URF/ERF experience amongst active forum members.
Thanks Pete, at least someones listening.

The URF/ERF route is the only 'off the shelf' wireless Picaxe programming system I know of. I know others have rolled their own solutions, but I just want 'plug and play'.

It's unfortunate that the URF/ERF system is now 'end of life', and even more unfortunate the the recommended programming software won't support it. It really annoys me when new software won't support old hardware.

As it is I've reverted back to trusty PE5.

Cheers,

Buzby

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
If there a setting somewhere to increase the time that PE6 waits for the compiler to finish ?
I am not sure what the issue is but am not convinced it's simply that PE6 gives up before the compiler finishes a download and extending the time would fix things.

Perhaps it would but I can't see why it would and we would have to investigate what the problem was which was causing PE6 to give up, if that's what it's doing. There is no option I know of which would extend that time at present.

In our tests PE6 appeared to be working just fine with large and small programs downloaded over the URF so are not sure why it's failing for you. Unfortunately, with the URF range no longer manufactured, and no other reports of this issue, there probably isn't a great case to justify figuring out what the underlying issue may be.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
'Compiler has stopped responding' is actually a Windows system message, not originating from internal PE6 code but from the a msg passed from the OS. So Windows itself thinks that the called program (compiler) has gone unresponsive (as it is taking so long to download). Therefore calling the compiler directly from a cmd window may be the way to resolve this as Windows would no longer be trying to second guess the issue.

All development of the URF was with PE6, and it appears to work for us. But it is a a no longer supported product as the URF/ERF supplier went out of business some time ago.