Update to VSM

Chipchat

Can a representative of the company please tell me if there is any news on the update / new version of VSM which has been in development for what seems like years please?

I used to use it with my students, studying A Level Electronics.

Most of the chips supported by the most recent version have now been replaced by improved ones, so I can't use my simulator with them.

Are we looking at weeks, months, or years please?

Thank you in advance for your reply.

VSM update

I too would love this update to happen ............now!

It was suggested in a post from the company last year that it would be due in the last quarter of 2010,
Then at the new year there was a post saying it was "coming soon"
It's now nearly 1/2 way through the year and still no news

I find this delayed update a disappointing aspect of a great product.

There are so few posts regarding the delayed update
Am I the only one frustrated by the delay
:(

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
We apologise for the delays which have been caused by a number of factors. Support for the X2 and M2 parts has required complete new model rewrites which were much more complicated than expected. We hope to release a date soon.

Chipchat

VSM support for current PICAXE Chips.

Thank you for your very prompt reply Technical, although I am sorry to say that 'hope' and 'soon' are really not terribly reassuring.

I do appreciate that the demands of re-writing for the current chips have proved to be very much more complex than expected, but the following reply was given to a similar enquiry over two years ago:-

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
20-04-2009, 20:28

X2 models are under development now for the next VSM release.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The company must surely have a target date for the release, if it is indeed 'soon'.

I do not wish to appear difficult, since I am a huge fan of PICAXE products overall and have spent large amounts on them in each of the last four years for use by my students.

The demands of A Level study are such that effective circuit simulation has become pretty much an essential tool in the development process. We have struggled through the last year by modelling in Circuit Wizard, but the prospect of doing the same for the coming year is not one I look forward to.

Please, please, get one of the programmers in a head-lock and don't let go until he / she makes a firm commitment to a date ...........

Last edited:

atholr

Come on Guys/Girls. It is 3 months later and still nothing. I am very new to this and have been greatly impressed by the VSM software but it is useless for anything under 28 pin Picaxe.

giuseppe

M2 support

I have been waiting for a while too... I am planning to write up a bunch of projects for our ECE club in the ECE department. It would help the freshman out to see how it works prior to assembling it on the breadboard. You guys want me to go into the classifieds to find a computer programmer that can do it faster?

jihem

Just bought the software. It's great but what's about the (not so) new 08M2 ? It's very annoying to finish a program in the free programming editor because the paid vsm doesn't support it. in this case the free version is more up to date !!! My main problem is the lack of memory (using 08M-IC model in a design). Is there a way (cheat, hack...) to push the memory limitation to 2048? Actualy I use a 28X1 in the simulation and translate everything down to 08M2 in the free programming editor... So for one projet I have 2 versions of the same program to do (and can't virtualy verify the real). You have great products (really). The 08M2 is amazing. Why are you firing a bullet in your foot not updating ? It isn't serious for professionals. Even an amateur don't do that.
I seriously began to fear about the support of your company. Should I stay... or not. In my head it's resume as : great products (well documented) versus lack of support (to vsm).
So when will this annonced release be available ? (soon answer not allowed, give a date before the end of this century)

Last edited:
Yes it is a great product
BUT
Again very little response to this issue

I know that one is supposed to be polite on forums but I'm at a bit of a loss to explain the lack of complaints and widespread expressions frustration and disappointment about the long overdue VSM update.
Has this product sold so few or are there few purchasers actually active here on the forum?

Let us not forget that VSM is a commercial product, sold with an implied update period of less than one year.
And will fail or succeed based not only upon how well it works but also upon customer service.
It is now more than 33 months since the latest update.
I must assume the lack of timely updates is either a business decision or a sign of lack of programming resources,
whatever the reason, it is surely an embarrassment.
It seems that the Editor updates, the Forum update and Ipod and Android app software take precedence.
I for one am incredibly frustrated by this "multi year"delay to the update.
Come on guys, you have clients (at least a couple) out here generally happy with VSM but frustrated with this never ending delay.

Why don't you release what you have achieved so far. then release the individual model updates as you complete them?

The word SOON as in "the update will be soon" now has a new definition; 9 months and counting

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Why don't you release what you have achieved so far. then release the individual model updates as you complete them?
Simulation models simply don't work if they are not complete, unfortunately it's all or nothing.

We are working on the update, but have indeed had a number of technical problems in the X2 model development. Developing for the completely new X2/M2 architecture is not just a simple rewrite of existing VSM models, it is a huge new 'ground-up' task from scratch. However we are nearly there.

jihem

"However we are nearly there."
Nearly as I can put in under the christmas tree ? Can you at least send us a mail when it will be released (or when you have a timeline) ? And please, continue the good job !

Jaden

Picaxe VSM progres.

WOW! A reply dated this month, of this year! This will be so welcomed! I like all the others out there cannot wait for this update, no more breadboarding with those hundreds of wires. Please keep at it folks and update that software. It will be under every picaxe users tree if it comes through. This is one of my regular post visits. Great to hear from them, please keep us informed.

Cheers
jaden
:D

codeOwl

I would like to add my support the call for a new version of VSM with support for the current PICAXE chips.
I would also like to say that the HelpFiles don't work on Windows 7.
I would also like to strongly suggest you add the simple feature of remembering which directly a file was last opened from, so I don't have to navigate through a tree of dir's to get to my files every time.

Regards,

codeOwl

tiscando

Something I noticed is that in the "Latest Software/Manual Versions" sticky, it says the latest version of VSM is 1.1.0, but the download on the PICAXE VSM website is still 1.0.4. Could the truth be told?

I would also like to strongly suggest you add the simple feature of remembering which directly a file was last opened from, so I don't have to navigate through a tree of dir's to get to my files every time.
CodeOwl, go to System>set paths, and select the 'initial folder is always the one that was used last' option.
I guess the next revision would be more compatible with Vista and 7.

T

codeOwl

Thanks for the tip tiscando ;-)

Something I noticed is that in the "Latest Software/Manual Versions" sticky, it says the latest version of VSM is 1.1.0, but the download on the PICAXE VSM website is still 1.0.4. Could the truth be told?

CodeOwl, go to System>set paths, and select the 'initial folder is always the one that was used last' option.
I guess the next revision would be more compatible with Vista and 7.

T
tiscando,
Thanks for that mate!! For some reason when I saw the Set Paths option in the menu, I assumed it was talking about the windows environment variables, so I didn't look in there.... I expected this type of setting to be in a program preferences/options type of dialogue...

Thanks again for the tip ;-)

codeOwl

darb1972

I am also a user of VSM and would like to see an update soon, however, I am sure that the folks at RevEd are not going to delay the release of a new version as this would be counterproductive to everyone including themselves. New version of VSM = new PICAXE models = more users purchasing VSM = more sales of new ICs. As said, it's not logical to think that the RevEd folks are not working their tales off to get this product on the market.

I'm very keen to see it released but would prefer to wait patiently to ensure the new version works with little or no bugs (if that is feasible when it comes to software).

I am a big fan of PICAXE and the VSM product. I take my hat off to the hard working folks at RevEd.

Thank you.

Jaden

Have been using VSM with the new chips. 5 STARS. Worth the buy. Thanks Guys, bit of a wait but well worth it.