Understanding the Versabot

cpedw

Do you have any experience working with Versabot? It's a bit old but available very cheaply. I had success assembling and running the supplied programs but then I tried to combine IR control with Bump sensors to accommodate poor driving. For a long time, I couldn't get the combo program to work until I found that the IRIN command was returning silly numbers - specifically, 768 + the expected number.

The IR control program (pp 19-20 in this datasheet) uses a word variable (keypressed) for the IRIN input variable. It works fine in that program but when I modified the program, it didn't work until I changed keypressed to a byte variable. The command description doesn't specify whether a byte or word can be used but clearly a byte is adequate. Any suggestions why my program failed when using a word?

Another puzzle, but not a problem, is the download circuit. There's a circuit diagram included on the CD in the kit that shows an ST232 converter chip connecting to RST, A.0 and A.1 on the 28X2. There are no connections on the schematic to the serial in and out, legs 6 and 7 and on the board it looks like that's what is there. It's hard to be sure on the surface mount board. Download works as expected, as does SERTXD so it's not a problem. There is no easy access to any port A pins on the board. It seems odd not to have used a standard picaxe. The chip number shows it's the older 28X2-5V so it doesn't have Touch capability.