Turbo Timer Issues

TEZARM

Ok I was going to design a little Picaxe circuit to go with my new Turbo Timer but the Turbo Timer has an issue. When I turn off car the turbo timer starts counting down but the engine cuts out immediately(Picaxe circuit not connected at all yet). I have heard this is something to do with the ignition system not switching off fast enough or something, I'm not sure, I don't remember to well. But I read ages ago somewhere for a fix for this problem. I think it was by using a zener. I don't remember what it was or how to do it. Has anyone had this same problem before or heard of it and how did you overcome this problem? I know there is someone on here who will know how to do it. Please help!!

BeanieBots

Not exactly sure what your problem is.
Is it that your PICAXE circuit is powered from the ignition (which cuts instantly) but needs to remain powered long enough to "do something" with/to the turbo timer?

A delayed power supply is easy enough to fashion by simply adding a very large capacitance to the supply rail and feeding it via a diode. How much capacitance depends on how long you want and how much current your circuit draws.

TEZARM

Nah Beaniebots, all turbo timers have this problem, but only on certain cars. When you switch on your ignition the turbo timer acknowledges it and then when you switch off ignition the turbo timer takes over keeping your ignition of car powered up and the engine running for a minute. But my problem is the turbo timer holds the ignition on for a minute but doesn't keep engine running. It will however if you hold the revs on while switching ignition off, but thats a pain doing it that way so I am trying to figure out how to solve the problem. Hope i make more sense, sorry, not to good at explaining things sometimes

BeanieBots

Got it. Nothing to do with PICAXE then ;-)
Depends entirely on your specific car.
If the ignition is powered via a relay (most modern ones are), then simply fit a cap across the coil to hold it on long enough for the turbo timer to kick in. If it is not, then it would probably be easier and quicker to redesign it so that it is.

TEZARM

Yep that is correct Beaniebots, nothing to do with picaxe circuit yet. This is just a compatabililty problem between car and turbo timer. Thanks for your advice. I'll give it a try. Sorry about not explaing well enough the first time. Slap!

BeanieBots

No slap for the misunderstanding as I'm sure that was mainly my fault. However, you can have one for posting such a blatent non-PICAXE related question ;-)