True data

Andrew Cowan

I've got a source (a GPS)of True baud serial data (T4800) that I want to look at on a PC. However, all the serial terminals I have tried want N (inverted data) it seems. Without using a hardware solution, is it possible to view the true data on a PC? It's only to check the NMEA strings - the PICAXE happily receives and decodes the data.

Any ideas for serial terminals that allow inversion?

Andrew

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Unlikely, but if you have an AXE027 you could reprogram it to invert the data.
However it's probably easier to just stick a MAX232 or even transistor in there!

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I don't know any physical PC ports which can do it but it is possible with FTDI-based USB-to-serial cables which can be re-programmed ( MPROG.EXE ). Take care though if you need to put it back to how it was.

The easiest solution is to use a MAX232 or even a 74xx or similar logic gate.

There's a neat trick discussed recently which can allow a PICAXE which supports COMPSETUP to act as a pass-through inverter, 'not gate'.

papaof2

I agree with Dr. Ac and others - I have a MAX232 (and associated capacitors) on the breadboard with the GPS (EM406a) used in a current project.

John

womai

Also, since you say the Picaxe is already receiving the data (whic indicated the GPS is already hooked up to the Picaxe anyway) - how about having it forward to the PC whatever receives, using the sertxd command?

Andrew Cowan

Thanks for all your help. Stan - I do have a couple of serial data terminals, but nothing that could handle inverted data.

I tried the route that Technical/hippy suggested with great results - switching the axe027 inversion on/off is a pretty easy solution. I just needed to view the data to make sure the GPS what outputting what I thought it was.

Many thanks again.

A