trouble installing axe027 on Windows 10

Jack Hale

I've tried to install my AXE027 cable on my PC running Windows 10, but I cannot find any documentation beyond Windows 8.
The installation seemed to have worked using the self extracting pre-installer and I got a message saying it was ready to go, but when I tried to upload a program to the PICAXE I got a message "hardware not found on COM1!"
When I looked in settings>devices AXE027 PICAXE USB showed "driver is unavailable".
Any suggestions?

westaust55

You will need to ascertain the correct COM port number using Device manager (there is also an option in the PE but away from PC).
Typically for USB ports this can be COM 3 or 4.

EDIT: (Now at a PC)
In the PE6 From the Workspace Explorer at the left side
Under the Settings/ COM Port click the Refresh COM Ports. That should show the COM port into which you have the AX027 connected.

IF that does not show the AXE027 try clicking on "Device Manager" also in the same area of the Workspace Explorer.
The Device Manager Window will open. Select Ports (COM & LPT)
If the AXE027 is set up you should see a line like:
AXE027 PICAXE USB (COM4) - maybe 3 instead of 4 or even some other number.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
It sounds like the AXE027 drivers have not been properly installed. The driver software can be downloaded from -

http://www.picaxe.com/Software/Drivers/AXE027-USB-Cable-Driver

With PICAXE Editor 6 installed you can avoid downloading the drivers by using those provided and already extracted with PE6 which can usually be found in -

C:\Program Files (x86)\Revolution Education\PICAXE Editor\USB Drivers\AXE027

The installation is described in the AXE027 manual -

http://www.picaxe.com/docs/axe027.pdf

Basically; go into Device Manager, select the AXE027 devices (probably those with yellow exclamation marks alongside them if none explicitly identified as AXE027), and click Update drivers.

Three important things to ensure for manual installation are -

1) On Windows 10 right-click on the "My Computer" icon, select Properties, then follow the Device Manager link at the top left.

Do not use the Settings app or Control Panel / Devices and Printers as they may look a bit like Device Manager but are not, and do not so easily allow what needs to be done.

2) That the files must be extracted from the downloaded .zip to a separate directory on disk. If not the files may appear to be seen by Windows Explorer but not by Device Manager.

If using the drivers provided with PE6 once installed these are already unzipped so this step is not required.

3) When pointing Device Manager to the extracted directory, the top level directory must be selected; the one containing the 'amd64' and 'i386' sub-directories.

Also note that the installation is a two-step process as two drivers must be installed. If the second step is not completed then there will be issues in accessing the installed AXE027 cable. After installing the first driver look for any new exclamation marked devices.

Eng460

Hi Hippy, thanks for posting that again, it really is the most helpful description of the procedure that I have found, and it has certainly helped me on a previous occassion.

It must surely be close to coming up time for an update of the manuals, or are we waiting for Windows 13?

More seriously though, can you please tell us all, all beginners that is, whether successfully passing the loop back test also positively proves that the drivers are properly installed. Or is it possible to pass the loop back test with an incomplete driver installation?

Eng460

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
More seriously though, can you please tell us all, all beginners that is, whether successfully passing the loop back test also positively proves that the drivers are properly installed. Or is it possible to pass the loop back test with an incomplete driver installation?
A successful loop-back test should prove that the drivers are properly installed.

I can't envisage any situation where one could complete a loop-back test without having completely and properly installed the drivers.

Eng460

Thanks Hippy, that is good to know.

When I get that “hardware not found“ message, and the circuit looks ok, I try the loop back test and it passes, it is hard to know which way to go from there. I must admit I have not seen a message about drivers, but I assume that checking them through the correct entry to device manager as you have recommended, (that’s a very confusing system, but your instructions are good) and finding the two entries, means the drivers are correct, so I refresh the com ports and if I get an appropriate indication I assume that must positively direct me back to the circuit to find the fault.

The puzzle is that if I chase down the options in device manager to the event log, I still get a message saying “This device requires further installation.” But when the wiring really is right, it all works well anyway.

I have to admit to going through that process, even a couple of times on occasion, and eventually finding the wiring error I had missed the first time around. I will eventually learn to look more closely at the circuit first, I suppose.

Eng460

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
When I get that “hardware not found“ message, and the circuit looks ok, I try the loop back test and it passes, it is hard to know which way to go from there.
First thing for a "hardware not found" error is to go for a Hard Reset, power-cycling of the PICAXE, download. That's usually the solution, especially if download has been working before.

westaust55

Checking the com port as I mentioned in post 2 is normally only applicable when you have just installed the AXE027 drivers as the OP (Jack) had just done/mentioned.

PE6 appears to retain the com port number if started without the cable plugged into the USB port.
Hence thereafter it depends on the circumstances:
A. New circuit Just built - Check the circuit rather than cable loop back test
B. Circuit previously worked - maybe the PICAXE does not see the request for a New download so try the hard reset as hippy has suggested above.

hrjuliani

It sounds like the AXE027 drivers have not been properly installed. The driver software can be downloaded from -

http://www.picaxe.com/Software/Drivers/AXE027-USB-Cable-Driver

With PICAXE Editor 6 installed you can avoid downloading the drivers by using those provided and already extracted with PE6 which can usually be found in -

C:\Program Files (x86)\Revolution Education\PICAXE Editor\USB Drivers\AXE027

The installation is described in the AXE027 manual -

http://www.picaxe.com/docs/axe027.pdf

Basically; go into Device Manager, select the AXE027 devices (probably those with yellow exclamation marks alongside them if none explicitly identified as AXE027), and click Update drivers.

Three important things to ensure for manual installation are -

1) On Windows 10 right-click on the "My Computer" icon, select Properties, then follow the Device Manager link at the top left.

Do not use the Settings app or Control Panel / Devices and Printers as they may look a bit like Device Manager but are not, and do not so easily allow what needs to be done.

2) That the files must be extracted from the downloaded .zip to a separate directory on disk. If not the files may appear to be seen by Windows Explorer but not by Device Manager.

If using the drivers provided with PE6 once installed these are already unzipped so this step is not required.

3) When pointing Device Manager to the extracted directory, the top level directory must be selected; the one containing the 'amd64' and 'i386' sub-directories.

Also note that the installation is a two-step process as two drivers must be installed. If the second step is not completed then there will be issues in accessing the installed AXE027 cable. After installing the first driver look for any new exclamation marked devices.
Thank you hippy! I follow your recommendations "Also note that the installation is a two-step process as two drivers must be installed", and also installed the driver on the device with the yellow exclamation, I updated the driver from the PE6, and now it is working! Once again thank you so much!!!!!

Eng460

The other point that I have noticed the com port needing refreshing, is if I have used the USB port for another piece of equipment since last use for Picaxe. Usually my scanner.
I do have other USB ports, but they are very inconveniently located on the back of the computer case, so I tend to use the same one for everything. Needless to say I have a desk top with a huge case, to a notebook. Needs rearranging half of the room to modify , so I avoid it. Probably other issues also with the old computer, but it is what I have. But it may not be a typical issue.

As you say, the more common issue is needing the hard reset, I am well practiced at that.

Eng460