Transients decoupling bypassing capactiors on PICs and other things.

Dippy

The subject of bypassing/decoupling PICAXEs crops up a lot.
- so I thought I'd have a quick drivvel.

IMnsHO , people should include decoupling as standard practice - maybe I have OCD :)
This could be a long post , so I shall condense it (haha geddit?)

It certainly helps hugely in any circuit where you have noise and transients e.g. motors, relays.
In fact, where any +V line is shared decoupling/bypassing should be used on the PICAXE and other sensitive , switching or crowbarry chips. You'll see it in many of the Data Sheets you read (!).

AND, unknown to most and forgotten by many, a PIC chip is a source of noise.

The usual practice is one or two paralleled capacitors.
Typically an electrolytic/tantalum to act like a local 'reservoir' for slower dips and transients.
And a ceramic in parallel to act like a local reservoir for HF transients and to decouple the HF stuff.

These should be placed as physically close as possible to the chip's power pins with the shortest track/trace that you can manage.
After all, it's pointless have a nightclub bouncer 100m down the road ... nasties can sneak in behind him/her.;)
(Not entirely accurate , but you get my drift?)

The other concerns when dealing with HF noise include the capacitor characteristics. This varies with value/size/construction - including the dielectric used; X7R is good and NP0/COG is better. Anyone taking electronics seriously should read up and read Data Sheets.

And as usual, when you are looking for one thing you get diverted by something else...
This is from the 16F1826/27 Data Sheet referring to performance of the INTERNAL oscillator block.

"To ensure these oscillator frequency tolerances, VDD and VSS must be capacitively decoupled as close to the device as possible. 0.1 uF and 0.01 uF values in parallel are recommended."

You'll note 2 relatively small values and these would be ceramic types.
This is because of the capacitor characteristics.

Notes.
Good decoupling (and track/trace layout practice) is also important to good ADC work.
All this assumes you have a good supply and neat layout.
It's sometimes difficult to polish a tu*d.

These things also apply to RF PCB design, but that's a whole different (and long) story.

Good luck with designing - and keep the noise down!

Andrew Cowan

Thanks for the excellent guide Dippy - very helpful.

One question I've got - if operating at a fixed temperature (say 18 degrees C), how important is it to use a high range cap (eg X7R) versus a cheaper, lower range cap (eg Y5S)? Obviously ythere is a slight tolerance difference (+-15% compared with +-22%), but apart from that, does the smaller temperature range matter if you're not going to go outside that range?

A

Dippy

Hi Andrew,
Thanks.
Short answer in your App : Don't know.

Temperature performance is obviously one of the things to study, but it goes well beyond ... depending on the App.
Remember (nearly) every component is an LCR , so you have to analyse your circuit and compare against performance.

Here are a couple of documents which I found very useful.
All sorts of graphs, descriptions and advice.
They give a really good grounding on selection.
Obv there must a be a thousand similar docs on the nerdynet (no, Ec, don't please!) but best not to get overwhelmed.

Attachments

fernando_g

Thanks for the excellent guide Dippy - very helpful.

One question I've got - if operating at a fixed temperature (say 18 degrees C), how important is it to use a high range cap (eg X7R) versus a cheaper, lower range cap (eg Y5S)? Obviously ythere is a slight tolerance difference (+-15% compared with +-22%), but apart from that, does the smaller temperature range matter if you're not going to go outside that range?

A
Andrew, if you are operating at essentially room temperature, you can use either one. You are actually operating in electronics Nirvana.

Both X7R and Y5S change over temperature. However the Y5S changes so much more that it is only specified over a narrower temp range. Narrow being -30 to +85C.

Having said that, both types of ceramics have another, lesser known fact: its capacitance changes with voltage, usually it becomes lower.
For instance, X7R at their full rated voltage will have its capacitance lowered to about 70% of its original value.....However a cheaper grade like Z5U will only have 30% of its original value.

A lot of good information may be found on the websites for major ceramic manufacturers; i.e. Murata, TDK, Kemet, AVX. But it tends to be widely scattered.

However, I've found an excellent web site which has condensed (pun intended) a lot of capacitor information, not only ceramic, but aluminum, tantalum, film, etc.

http://my.execpc.com/~endlr/index.html