Tojan_Virus_In_VSM_Download

Robbitron

I Don't know if anyone else has mentioned this yet, but when I downloaded the demo version of the PICAXE VSM it gave my computer a Trojan.

This is the description of the virus I received:

Name: Generic Exploit!x
File:C:\Program Files\Revolution Education\PICAXE VSM\BIN\OBJITF.DLL

Because of this problem the demo version does not work. please help.

Last edited:

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
This is a genuine VSM file that should have a file date 11/09/2007 and size 41kb.
People have being doing the same download of the same installer for well over a year without any other reports so we do not think the file is infected.

It sounds as if your anti-virus may be giving a false positive, which version of software are you using?

Dippy

Robbitron, there have been a number of issues recently similar to this which turned out to be muckups by the Internet Security software.
Which, by definition, proves the fallability of such software.

In my experience they seem a little over sensitive sometimes (albeit superb apps in themselves of course).
Never assume they are 100% correct.
Erring on the side of caution maybe...?

It may be prudent to contact the manufacturers of the I.S. software (or if they have a Forum) to get a solution rather than suggesting that the VSM suppliers are allowing Trojans or other crap to get through to you. To suggest any intent by a reputable company is a little iffy to put it mildly.
Maybe there are some FAQs on their site which may be worth you investigating first.

Robbitron

Yeah your probably right Dippy. I just got so mad when I got the Trojan. I was like:eek: and then I was:confused: and then :mad:. I think Technical is right as well, it's probably just my security software thinking some file is a virus when its actually not. In fact I think this happened to me before with some other software but I can't remember what it was. On the side of being cautious, I take back what I said about PICAXE, I should never assume something about someone or some company without first seeking it out. Anyway it's probably just some small error not worth investigating.:D

Oh by the way, if the file isn't a virus, how do I prevent my security software from deleting it? The VSM is incabable of working with out it.

Dippy

Which Security Software?
Norton?
If you tell us then maybe someone can help. My Crystal Ball firewall secutiy has prevented me from suggesting an answer ;)

There must be something in the options/settings to ignore or similar.

PS. I see you have removed your comments about intention.
Even though it makes my reply earlier look (even more) stupid I think you are wise.

Robbitron

No need to worry, I seem to have got it working fine:D. I don't know what happened but it works ok now. You see earlier I had installed the VSM on my computer long ago and it worked great. It was just today that the file OBJITF.DLL went missing some how and the program couldn't execute any circuit Animation. I think my security software (McAfee) deleted it. So I had to reinstall the program but when I did McAfee saw the file OBJITF.DLL again this time as a trojan and removed it. However even though it removed it, VSM works now anyway without it.:D

Sorry about making your comment look misplaced. I do have to say though your comment is very well written.;)

Thanks for your replies.

scoop

Just installed VSM on my Windows 7 laptop with McAfee running and the Trojan warning came up for me as well. Just turned McAfee off for15 minutes and reinstalled VSM again. It all seems to be running fine.