TIG welding update

BrendanP

Regulars will recall I posted re. TIG welding aluminium housings for a picaxe project.

I recently bought this TIG unit.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BOSWELL-200AMP-AC-DC-INVERTER-TIG-ARC-ALUMINUM-WELDER-/270507388880?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Welding&ha

Contrary to what some advised me I can report that TIG welding aluminium is pretty straight forward. I have probably spent 3 hours in total practicing and I can now lay down a reasonable looking weld bead.

The things I learned here have been critical in making progress.
http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/index.html

Things that are important:

Get a machine with a pedal
Keep the electrode about its own diameter from the puddle
Keep the hand piece about 10 degrees off the vertical from the work.
Use a helium/argon mix shield gas
And the most important, make sure you have the machine (dial settings) set up correctly
If you keep having problems this is mos likely what is wrong.

I have done a reasonable amount of stick and MIG welding previously and that has helped a lot. Still, even if you are new to welding TIG isn't that hard. Forget what the hand wringers tell you, have a go.

Dippy

"..I can report that TIG welding aluminium is pretty straight forward"
- maybe you're just a natural :)

We will expect 100% error-free welding from now on then Brendan.
Will you be giving tuition to the hand-wringers, naysayers and skeptics?
Don't forget to let us know when it goes wrong as well huh? ;)

Rickharris

Question:

IF Argon and Helium etc are inert gases why does it matter which ones you use, by definition they take no part in the process other than to exclude oxygen and cool the area welded.

and wouldn't Helium simple rise rapidly away from the welding area anyway?

I have MIG welded with Co2 and Argon CO2 mix and can't tell the difference - But then again I certainly ain't a natural welder being frightened of anything over 50 mA

flyingnunrt

Helium/argon has a hotter arc than striaght argon and will therefore penetrate deeper. Helium is dearer than argon in most countries so unless needed for the extra heat it is usually not used.
Pure argon is fine for most uses and works fine for stainless steels as well.

boriz

Dunno anything about welding. But. Argon is heavier than air, and will sink. Helium the opposite. But what about a mix of them? My guess is that they will quickly separate, but until they do, they would cloak the arc completely, and what happens to helium/argon in a high temperature electric arc? Dunno, but I reccon they would get excited and probably start throwing electrons about, altering chemical properties and doing strange bondage stuff. I figure oxidisation prevention is only part of the picture.

Dippy

Interesting. A lot of figuring, guessing and bondage. Quite a combination :)
Maybe you should consult an expert on this?

To join in with guessing; I would have guessed that the density of the gas (re rising/sinking) is pretty irrel as the gas is blown onto the weld area.

What the chemistry is, or ionisation effects (if any) are, I haven't got a clue. But we do know A) the definition of 'inert' , and , B) It works well in good hands , so hey ho.

BrendanP

Sorry I haven't replied sooner guys.

The guy who runs the welding web site I linked to previously welds airframes, have a look around his site and you'll see him TIGing a light aircraft frame together.

He works for Delta Airlines.

How do I know ? Because I googled his name got his work number and gave him call to thank for him for his site.

Probably ticketed to do nuclear work as well but I don't know that for sure.

Tried welding aluminium cans together anyone?

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/starting-a-welding-business.html

He says to use helium/argon mix and thats about all I need to hear. Similar to when people like Dippy, Hippy Stan et al. give me advice here.

Plus when I went into BOC gases here in Au and asked for a helium/argon mix gas the cretin behind the counter started going on about argon alone being fine and that he didn't even think they had a mixed gas.

So said cretin looks in his book and finds that yes! there is a argon/helium mix (27% helium balance argon) and low and behold its actually f#$%^&*&* called allyshield lite. (I'm down on counter jockeys as you can see)

So why second guess people who do this stuff for a living and do it so well?

The man says:

"...Get a cylinder of 50/50 argon/helium for use on Tig welding Aluminum. You will not regret this… sometimes you can even weld thicker aluminum with a smaller electrode. It also makes the aluminum puddle quicker and welds cleaner...."

Last edited:

KMoffett

I can't find anything definitive, but from various sources it appears that when welding heavier aluminum (=> 1/4") the mixed gas provides better penetration and thus allows for lower welding currents than with straight argon. No apparent advantage on lighter gauges.

Ken

Dippy

"So why second guess people who do this stuff for a living and do it so well?"
- absolutely.
Google can't replace training, skill and experience.

Marcwolf

"So why second guess people who do this stuff for a living and do it so well?"
- absolutely.
Google can't replace training, skill and experience.

Google gives you the information.. Experience teaches you how to apply it :>

Dippy

Oooh .:eek:

Google can give you access to information, but if you know zip then you 100% rely on the author - maybe at your peril.
(You must have , on occasion, seen some of the terrible circuits that a few newbies here have used with dumb cut'n'paste?)

A calculator can work out a pile of numbers and give an answer.
If you are reasonably numerate you can sometimes spot when you haven't done something right. Whereas someone who isn't numerate will take the answer literally each time every time and won't question it.
Have you noticed how dyslexia has increased since the introduction of spell-checkers?

But, well wriggled, nonetheless. :rolleyes:

Anyway, all tongue-in-cheek, I'm sure. I'll leave you to it.:)