Testing picaxe 08m2

Bozambo

I just completed downloading a logicator flowchart program on my 08M2 chip ( I tsuspect ) . but Iam not getting any output reading.
Is there any test that can be done to determine if it is working. Iam not even sure if it is a picaxe chip because there is no markings on the chip. Also if a different ic is inserted on the proto board for programming would the program be able to recognize that the inserted chip is not a picaxe. or can it say "program sucessfully downloaded" on a foreign ic.

manuka

No markings of any kind ? Unless they've been sanded off( it happens) then a DIP8 IC with absolutely NO factory markings is NOT a PICAXE! The new 08M2 are clearly labelled as such (although faintly), & the classic 08M are labelled PIC16F683 (but I always put on my own sticky "PICAXE" label). Stan.

SAborn

(but I always put on my own sticky "PICAXE" label)
A dab of liquid paper (White out) on the under side of the chip allows for a ink pen to label the chip, it dont look so messy on the underside when the chip is in circuit.

westaust55

From within the Programming Editor, click on the Options button at the toolbars.
When the pop-up window is visible, select the Mode tab and then click on the button Check Firmware Version.
You will then be informed which PICAXE chip type and firmware version is conencted.
If it is not a PICAXE chip or not corrected connected you will get the message "Hardware not found".

nick12ab

From within the Programming Editor, click on the Options button at the toolbars.
When the pop-up window is visible, select the Mode tab and then click on the button Check Firmware Version.
You will then be informed which PICAXE chip type and firmware version is conencted.
If it is not a PICAXE chip or not corrected connected you will get the message "Hardware not found".
He's using Logicator so that isn't very helpful.

The equivalent button in Logicator is in the 'Select PIC Type' dialog (under Options menu) and is labelled 'Check PICAXE Type...'

It's a shame that Logicator doesn't have a terminal since if it did the OP could also check for the Hello I am your PICAXE-08M(2) message which is sent by unprogrammed PICAXEs.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I just completed downloading a logicator flowchart program on my 08M2 chip ( I tsuspect ) . but Iam not getting any output reading ... Iam not even sure if it is a picaxe chip because there is no markings on the chip.
If the download completed successfully then it almost certainly is a PICAXE chip as download would not succeed otherwise.

If the program downloads then the PICAXE is working, and to verify its operation beyond that, start by implementing a simple flowchart which simply toggles a LED+R on an output pin or sends a beep through a piezo.

Bozambo

Thanks for the suggestions they are all greatly appreciated. I had a pretty elaborate program downloaded.What Iam going to do right now is try the simple program as suggested and see how it goes.
Thanks Again For Now