Terminal window baud rate

dennis

For the next software release could the terminal window have an additional baud rate to support operation at 20MHz ?

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
The baud rates are independant of resonator speed in the terminal window. What are you trying to do?

dennis

I am using Sertxd as part of debugging to output statements like "arrived in GPS mode". When I run a 28X1 at 4Mhz (internal res) the window baud rate needs to be set to 4800 and when running at 8MHz(internal res) to 9800 Other baud settings produce gibberish. When running with an external resonator at 20Mhz I cant find a baud rate setting which works and assumed (probably wrongly) that a new option was needed.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
At 20MHz, 4800 @ 4MHz become 24000 baud. Yes, a new baud rate option would be needed - an oscillator used or multiplier option would be my preference.

I've never exhaustively tested this code ( <A href='http://www.mev.co.uk/vbbaud.htm' Target=_Blank>External Web Link</a> ) but it seemed to work. Increasing the baud rate from 4800 started to introduce errors (4800*1.03).

I've never got my own Terminal program into a decent enough shape to release in public, but as I'll undoubtedly also have to make it work at these weird baud rates I'll look at doing that.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
20MHz will not give a regularly used baud rate, so you should do this instead in your program:

setfreq m4
sertxd (...)
setfreq em20