Terminal problems / fix / sertxd documentation suggestion

Morganl

PE6.0.6.4

1) using the #terminal directive, and terminal initially closed, picaxe start before terminal = output lost
It works on second and consecutive downloads.
I guess a fix could be that PE launch the terminal first (so it is like during following downloads), then download.

2) After having downloaded a program which use "#terminal baud", and then edit that baud, and download again, the terminal is not updated with the new baudrate.

3) at http://www.picaxe.com/BASIC-Commands/Directives/hash-terminal/ it say max baud is 32400.
So it can not be used at 64MHz (!?)
I tried #terminal 76800 and i neither get syntax error nor anything in Serial Terminal. IMO, I should get either of it.
(used 28X2, 16MHz xtal, em64, sertxd)

4) at http://www.picaxe.com/BASIC-Commands/Serial-RS232-Interfacing/sertxd/
I suggest a cleanup for better clarity and less words:

Replace "(baud 4800, 8 data, no parity, 1 stop)"
With "Format is 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop.

Remove:
"The baud rate is fixed at 4800,n,8,1 (9600,n,8,1 on X2 parts)"

Add:
"The baud rate depends on set frequency according to the following table.
Note that the default frequency is 8 MHz on X2 parts, 4 MHz on all other."

Remove:
"Effect of Increased Clock Speed
Increasing the clock speed increases the serial baud rate as shown below (non X2 parts)."

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
1) That is expected behaviour. We would recommend opening the Terminal manually before download if desired and adding a pause at the start of programs to provide time for the terminal to become ready to receive data. We would recommend a pause anyway as there may be some delay between finishing download and the terminal having the same port access handed to it during which data may be sent from the PICAXE and become lost or corrupted.

2) That appears to be expected behaviour if the terminal is kept open during downloads.

3) #Terminal, PE6 and AXE027 do support 76800 baud rates. Other download cables and physical ports might not. The documentation relating to baud rates supported by #Terminal will be updated.

4) We will review the documentation for the SERTXD command.

Morganl

Quick response as always :)

Consider adding info on 1) and 2) too to #terminal documentation.

at 3) i am using your USB cable. Problem may possibly be I am running PE on XP in VirtualBox. But it is on an i7 computer...