@Technical, repeated posts

MPep

Hi Technical,

There appear to have been quite a few repeated (double) posts in the last week or so.
Is there any specific reason for this?

Regards,
MPep.

westaust55

For some further information on this topic as seen by myself:

When the new forum was first establish I was getting messages in effect stating "You are posting the same information within 5 minutes"

Now on some occassions a get a message to the effect "Do you wish to leave this page"
Clicking "YES" is seemingly the correct answer
Recently I no longer see such a message about same post within 5 minutes.

Also of recent I am finding that the forum can seemingly "hang" sometimes for extended period like 5 minutes. (I can open another instance and that may access all immediately or will sometimes be delayed in opening until the first window has completed the task in hand.

From what I have seen today, if (and this may ?? be as a result of an "operator" error such as double clicking) there is a "hang-up", one post will be posted maybe instantly in sequence with others and the second post occured roughly 5 minutes later when the "hang-up" cleared with another forum member having inserted a post between my two posts.
See this thread: http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?19330

Dippy

Would it be a good idea to list the conditions when this duplication occurs?

Maybe report back to THIS thread.

OS
Browser/Version
Can the behaviour be intentionally duplicated?
A brief 2 or 3 clear sentences on how you did it.

I've noticed minor (and reproducible) differences when using my home PC using IE8 and FF on XP and when I'm at work using Windows 7. Nothing major.

If we can feed Rev-Ed with enough info then Detective Inspector Technical may be able to nail it.

PS. Surely if it is something as simple as double-clicking then an extra code line disabling the "Post" button immediately after the first click will cure it. It's worked for me in PC programming, but I realise we may be up against code author pride ;)

Last edited:

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
People do need to realise that we do not actually write the forum software at all, it is a very popular 'third party' bought-in product. So any feedback will be passed on to the vBulletin developers, but that will not necessarily mean an instant fix! We do think the benefits of, for instance, ajax inline reply far outweight the negatives, even if that does mean an occasional double post. If you don't want to use ajax then click the 'go advanced' button for a separate browser window.

MPep

I do realise that Technical. :D
Thought I'd at least mention it, having seen it a few times now.
The "do you want to navigate away from this page" message is new also.