Surface mount components

Hooter

Folks - I am about to have my first surface mount PCB made by PCB Cart who have made through hole component PCB's for me previously.
They require a Bill of Materials with component descriptions and manufacturers part numbers prior to giving me a quote.
I have searched manufacturers sites and have ended up in a state of confusion as there are so many parts to chose from.
The circuit consists of a few resistors, diodes, leds and capacitors. Has anyone gone through this process and perhaps have a list
of these common components and their manufacturers part numbers that they are happy to share.
I will be using 1206 sized components.
Any assistance is always appreciated.
Cheers.

inglewoodpete

Have you designed the circuit board and supplied the gerber files to PCB Cart? If so, your PCB design program should have produced a bill of parts, since you would have selected and placed the (virtual) parts from parts libraries on your (virtual) board.

Hemi345

PCB Cart is assembling the PCB for you?

It would be hard for us to recommend part numbers for you without knowing the power requirements, Vf, color, etc.

I think probably the best way to find part numbers for what you need is to visit a parts warehouse website, like Mouser, and filter the components list on the package/case (footprint) and various requirements you've chosen in your design. Usually that'll narrow the list down to less than 100, then you can sort on price (ascending) as these vary greatly. For example, a 1206 led price range is $0.16 to $3.16 ! Narrow that down to just "Red" leds, and the choice and price range narrows to $0.18 to $0.36 with 92 choices. Narrow further for "top view" (normal style), and you have 42 to chose from, etc. etc.

rq3

Folks - I am about to have my first surface mount PCB made by PCB Cart who have made through hole component PCB's for me previously.
They require a Bill of Materials with component descriptions and manufacturers part numbers prior to giving me a quote.
I have searched manufacturers sites and have ended up in a state of confusion as there are so many parts to chose from.
The circuit consists of a few resistors, diodes, leds and capacitors. Has anyone gone through this process and perhaps have a list
of these common components and their manufacturers part numbers that they are happy to share.
I will be using 1206 sized components.
Any assistance is always appreciated.
Cheers.
Generally, a PC Fab house will accept a BOM (Bill Of Materials) that specifies a particular part by manufacturer and part number OR EQUIVALENT. You can realize an enormous savings in cost by accepting their interpretation of acceptable parts (say, standard ceramic or tantalum capacitors, or metal film or thick film resistors). They will use the parts they normally acquire to populate any board. Unless you specify a particular part, they will carry on with their stock items.

Only when the part is critical do you need to specify it exactly. On one of my boards, I have specified a surface mount Picaxe 20M2, and they send me an invoice for the required number of Picaxes, I buy them, and then ship them to the board fabricator under their invoice.

Everything else is jellybean parts. If they want to substitute a part, they check with me as to applicability.

Hooter

Have you designed the circuit board and supplied the gerber files to PCB Cart? If so, your PCB design program should have produced a bill of parts, since you would have selected and placed the (virtual) parts from parts libraries on your (virtual) board.
Inglewwodpete - I use Diptrace which asks for the part numbers to be attached to the component and this is where I get stuck as there are so many options - which is where I get confused - grey matter not as good as it used to be. I will persevere.

Hooter

Generally, a PC Fab house will accept a BOM (Bill Of Materials) that specifies a particular part by manufacturer and part number OR EQUIVALENT. You can realize an enormous savings in cost by accepting their interpretation of acceptable parts (say, standard ceramic or tantalum capacitors, or metal film or thick film resistors). They will use the parts they normally acquire to populate any board. Unless you specify a particular part, they will carry on with their stock items.

Only when the part is critical do you need to specify it exactly. On one of my boards, I have specified a surface mount Picaxe 20M2, and they send me an invoice for the required number of Picaxes, I buy them, and then ship them to the board fabricator under their invoice.

Everything else is jellybean parts. If they want to substitute a part, they check with me as to applicability.
Rq3 - I have asked PCB Cart for a list of their preferred component part numbers but they prefer me to supply the list and they will use their 'equivalent' component after that. All good. I will forge on. Thanks for your response.

Hemi345

Here's a list of common SMD components I've used:
NichiconUCD1H100MCL6GSElectrolyticSMD 5x5.810uF
NichiconUWR1A101MCL1GBElectrolyticSMD 5x5.5100uF
KEMETC1206C104K5RACTUCeramic12060.1uF
VishayVJ1206Y105MXJTW1BCCeramic12061uF
Vishay593D106X9016A2TE3Tantalum120610uF

resistors, (https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Bourns/CR1206-FX-1002ELF):
CR1206-FX-2000ELF
CR1206-FX-3300ELF
CR1206-FX-1001ELF
CR1206-FX-4701ELF
CR1206-FX-1003GLF
CR1206-FX-1002ELF

You can see the part number has the resistor value in it, so should be pretty easy to find what you need

LEDs:
Green: LTST-C150GKT
Red: LTST-C150EKT

Hooter

Here's a list of common SMD components I've used:
NichiconUCD1H100MCL6GSElectrolyticSMD 5x5.810uF

NichiconUWR1A101MCL1GBElectrolyticSMD 5x5.5100uF

KEMETC1206C104K5RACTUCeramic12060.1uF

VishayVJ1206Y105MXJTW1BCCeramic12061uF

Vishay593D106X9016A2TE3Tantalum120610uF

resistors, (https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Bourns/CR1206-FX-1002ELF):
CR1206-FX-2000ELF
CR1206-FX-3300ELF
CR1206-FX-1001ELF
CR1206-FX-4701ELF
CR1206-FX-1003GLF
CR1206-FX-1002ELF

You can see the part number has the resistor value in it, so should be pretty easy to find what you need

LEDs:
Green: LTST-C150GKT
Red: LTST-C150EKT
Excellent Hemi - Thanks for that- That's the starter info I was looking for.
Cheers