Suggestion for new feature for Programming Editor: list of variables per register

kranenborg

Hello,

When one performs a syntax check on a Picaxe program, the Programming Editor (PE) gives a very useful list of used resources at the right-side of the window (Variables, Constants & Labels). With very large programs - in which it becomes inevitable to use a register several times for different, unrelated purposes - I would welcome a fourth category (called "Register Use" or something similar), which gives for each register (byte registers and word registers) the associated variable names as used by the program (and is essentially a re-ordering of the information presented in the Variables category, but now based on the register name). This would greatly simplify program checking for avoiding side-effects caused by incorrect register variable usage, in particular when meaningful variable names are used. Would this be considered useful (i have encountered the need several times, unwanted side-effects are sometimes difficult to trace)?

Best regards,
Jurjen
http://www.kranenborg.org/electronics

lbenson

I would certainly endorse this suggestion.

I try to define symbols so that, for instance, all the definitions of b5 are together, followed by the definitions of b6, and so on, but for cases in which one wanted to define symbols for a given subroutine together, it would be useful to be able to view them as Jurjen as suggested.

geoff07

Perhaps if someone does work on an update they might consider highlighting variables that are defined but not used? And perhaps sort by bit/byte/word as well - a bit similar to the first suggestion.