Strange Results from LinAXEPad

jpantone

After much fooling around, I finally got my AXE027 to be recognized (Ubuntu 14.04 LTS).

My userid is a member of the dialout group as recommended.

When I run LinAXEPad I get some odd results.

Using the Clear Program Memory option yields a "success" dialog box see attached.

However trying to use the Program option yields an error dialog.

What's going on here?

Thanks.

Attachments

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Welcome to the PICAXE forum.

That "Can't open port 3" is a bit odd; it would be expected to show "Can't open port /dev/ttyUSB0" or similar. We would need to investigate why there is a disparity and whether it is part of the problem or simply an issue in displaying the error report.

If you go into the Help menu, and click Configuration Details, what does that report ?

jpantone

Help >> Configuration Details yields:

Application : LinAXEpad
Version : 1.5.1
Platform : Linux

X2 Conversion Wizard Version : 2.0.5 (2011r2)

Build Environment : 2011r2
Build Date : 2014-12-10 15:09:52

Includes CEF Version : 1.6.3
TextStorageType : 1

Current Mode : 08M2
Current Port : /dev/ttyUSB0

Application Path : /home/john/Desktop/Current Projects/Picaxe/linaxepad/
Compiler Path : /home/john/Desktop/Current Projects/Picaxe/linaxepad/compiler_linux/
Documents Path : /home/john/
Temporary Path : /tmp/
Settings Path : /home/john/

Looks OK?

The really odd part is that the "clear memory" appears to work - doesn't that just download a "reset" program?

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
The details look correct and, yes, "clear memory" does just download a program with just an END command in it. Both are controlled by the same software routine within AXEpad which makes it very strange that one works but the other does not.

It might be worth switching to /dev/ttyUSB1 ( even though that will not exist ) and seeing what error message that gives on download, "Can't find /dev/TTYUSB1" or something else. Also trying a download on /dev/ttyUSB0 with the AXE027 cable unplugged. Perhaps re-boot, restart LinAXEpad, try a download before anything else.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Do you by any chance have a "#com 3" directive in your program ?

That overrides the port settings where a clear memory would not.

jpantone

what a newbie error!

That was it!

I copied the program HelloWorld.bas from a book - and didn't look it over carefully (I know, what a newbie error!). Removing the #com directive lets it work just fine.

Thank you for your time.:p