square one

olden

I thought I was making progress but I've gone to the start. I've learnt by my mistakes but they seem to have returned regardless. I tried to load a new mini test program to try something else and it worked. I tried 3rd test program nothing happened. So I went back to the beginning and tried from there - nothing. I've tried new batteries, changed the LED's, changed resistors, checked all wiring with my meter, both resistance and voltage, all connections 3 times, all seemed to be all right. Now I know I'm new at this (still trying to get used to programming), followed the book step by step about putting a new program in the 08M chip but I'm not getting anywhere.
I must have messed it up with programming because everything else checks out. Any body got anysuggestions? http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/images/icons/icon9.gif
Unhappy

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Are the downloads themselves successful ? Does the PICAXE identify itself correctly when using the View->Options->Mode->Firmware? button ?

BrendanP

Its helpfull to have another picaxe of the same type as the one your using on hand to swap in case the picaxe itself is malfunctioning. Its unlikely that the part would be faulty 'out of the box'. It may of been damaged through a 'oops' type mistake. ie. revese polarity connection.

My experience is that if I can't find a problem after a reasonable amount of time its best to call its quits for a while and come back to it the next day or even just after few hours break. Often the soloution to a problem will come to me spontaneously when I'm off doing something else.

Developing a good problem solving MO/attitude is critical for working in electronics and will be very helpfull to you in life in general. The harder the problem the greater the thrill when you solve it.

Don't despair, everyone on this forum has been through the learning curve that youre now navigating.

olden

I thought I was making progress but I've gone to the start. I've learnt by my mistakes but they seem to have returned regardless. I tried to load a new mini test program to try something else and it worked. I tried 3rd test program nothing happened. So I went back to the beginning and tried from there - nothing. I've tried new batteries, changed the LED's, changed resistors, checked all wiring with my meter, both resistance and voltage, all connections 3 times, all seemed to be all right. Now I know I'm new at this (still trying to get used to programming), followed the book step by step about putting a new program in the 08M chip but I'm not getting anywhere.
I must have messed it up with programming because everything else checks out. Any body got anysuggestions? http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/images/icons/icon9.gif
Unhappy
I don't know any more as I said before I'm confused again, what I did before dosn't work now, I've tried everything.
What you have asked me is something new, 'View->Options->Mode->Firmware->Button. The last bit firemware>button I have never used because it hasn't been mentioned, I don't know what it is.

olden

Its helpfull to have another picaxe of the same type as the one your using on hand to swap in case the picaxe itself is malfunctioning. Its unlikely that the part would be faulty 'out of the box'. It may of been damaged through a 'oops' type mistake. ie. revese polarity connection.

My experience is that if I can't find a problem after a reasonable amount of time its best to call its quits for a while and come back to it the next day or even just after few hours break. Often the soloution to a problem will come to me spontaneously when I'm off doing something else.

Developing a good problem solving MO/attitude is critical for working in electronics and will be very helpfull to you in life in general. The harder the problem the greater the thrill when you solve it.

Don't despair, everyone on this forum has been through the learning curve that youre now navigating.
I must confess you've hit the nail on the head. My wife often tells me to leave it and go back the problem later and the answer usually comes through. Your probably right, I've got the stubborn atittude to not let it beat me but it usually does. http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/images/smilies/confused.gif
:confused:

BrendanP

No your not letting it beat you by taking a break, you simply recognising the limits of your minds ability to stay intensely focused on one thing for a long period of time.

Its a simple time management tool to recognise your limits. Obsessivley continuing to work beyond the stage that youre effective is being dumb.

Time is the most valuable thing any of us have in our lives, use it carefully.

The firmware button Hippy was alluding to let you see what picaxe firmware is loaded into the chip. Its also a quick easy way to check that the electrical connection between your pc and the picaxe is functioning OK. When I connect up a new bread board or even a old design to the pc for the first time in a session I always hit the firmware button first to see that everything is ready to begin work.

You will most likely of just made a simple error.

olden

I slept on it and tried again this morning and after pulling some more hair out I looked at the combinations of connecting it all together. Well to my surprise there is a right and wrong way but the book doesn't go that far, for me anyway. Anyway I've found the problem. So thanks everybody again digging me out of another hole (perhaps many generations ago of my family were moles).
I have learnt another piece of info firmware, all helps.:eek:

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
So what's the right and wrong way, where/how isn't the book clear or lacking ?

You may not be a PICAXE Guru just yet, but feedback on what went wrong and how you solved it can be invaluable for people struggling to get started themselves and could help to dig others out of the same hole. If one person makes a mistake, mis-reads something, or didn't find something clearly explained it's guaranteed someone else will come along and do the same.

You actually have an advantage here over us old-timers who are so used to doing things that we know what instructions should say and skip what they actually say and therefore miss any mistakes or issues there may be. Sometimes it's hard to look back and ask "what did I get wrong when I started out?" when trying to help others.

I'd recommend keeping a list or diary of your successes and failures ( I wish I had ), and you'll be well placed to help others starting out and probably end up being a very valuable contributor to these forums.

olden

So what's the right and wrong way, where/how isn't the book clear or lacking ?

You may not be a PICAXE Guru just yet, but feedback on what went wrong and how you solved it can be invaluable for people struggling to get started themselves and could help to dig others out of the same hole. If one person makes a mistake, mis-reads something, or didn't find something clearly explained it's guaranteed someone else will come along and do the same.

You actually have an advantage here over us old-timers who are so used to doing things that we know what instructions should say and skip what they actually say and therefore miss any mistakes or issues there may be. Sometimes it's hard to look back and ask "what did I get wrong when I started out?" when trying to help others.

I'd recommend keeping a list or diary of your successes and failures ( I wish I had ), and you'll be well placed to help others starting out and probably end up being a very valuable contributor to these forums.
I didn't think I would have the knowledge to a level to help others. I think your idea is sound so I will start a diary and if in the future I might have the answer. I think us old-timers goto stick together. Thankshttp://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/images/icons/icon14.gif
Thumbs up

Dippy

Definitely keep notes.

Also keep a Grimoire of your circuit designs...

When you move to CAD you can keep all these little circuit samples as Macros. When you need to put a big circuit together you just pick'n'mix. An e-Grimoire. If it was a flashy colour and you wished to be trendy you'd call it an i-Grimoire or maybe a PodGrim.

You'll 'get there' , don't worry. And once you've 'got there' you'll wonder why it was giving you brain-ache previously.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I didn't think I would have the knowledge to a level to help others.
Don't underestimate yourself; you've already beaten this last problem where others may have thrown in the towel. It's been said that a teacher only has to stay one step ahead of the pupil. You've probably learned more than you realise already.

manuka

Old timer: Shadows music-those were the days- you're much the same age as me!

IMHO it's fair to say David Lincoln's big green book is best suited as a resource rather than a PICAXE primer. I must have helped 1000s down under get to grips with PICAXEs over the last 5 years,& although we usually have the "BGB" handy, it's considered too adavnced by manny ( especially pre teens). Most newbie learning here is essentially on dead simple solderless platforms, ( => www.picaxe.orcon.net.nz) & circuits usually always work, with self directed incremental programming the norm.

Many PICAXE enhancements develop as folks explore possibilities this way. Stan

olden

Definitely keep notes.

Also keep a Grimoire of your circuit designs...

When you move to CAD you can keep all these little circuit samples as Macros. When you need to put a big circuit together you just pick'n'mix. An e-Grimoire. If it was a flashy colour and you wished to be trendy you'd call it an i-Grimoire or maybe a PodGrim.

You'll 'get there' , don't worry. And once you've 'got there' you'll wonder why it was giving you brain-ache previously.
I'm feeling more relaxed no with every bodies help, it has been most welcome.
Unfortunately you've given me more questions. What are the following:
CAD - is this 'Computer Aided Design' if it is I haven't got one.
e-Grimoire & i-Grimore?
PodGrim ?
Macros - I've heard of them on the computer before but have never had to use them, are they small programs that are designed to work other main programs?http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/images/smilies/confused.gif
:confused:

Dippy

Oh, I was 'future planning' and having a little joke.

A Grimoire is your book of spells. ie. your little book of notes / circuit designs / code snippets which you refer back to in a few weeks time when you've forgotten how you did such-n-such.

Yes, CAD is exactly that and makes circuit board design easier. (I won't say 'a joy' though anoraks may disagree).

The CAD I use allows you to generate 'MACROS' which is an anorak word for circuit schematic/artwork snippets which you can save and then paste into your design. e.g. you design a little circuit, say, a power supply. You save it as a 'macro' and then months down the line when you're doing something else and want a power supply you just add it into your new design, almost cut'n'paste. Saves the brain.
An electronic Grimoire = e-Grimoire.

Many CADs you just cut'n'paste anyway, so Macro is slightly old-fashioned.

I have a notebook of pencil-drawn circuits, notes and code snippets. I really ought to get out more.

I was being ironic when I said "i-Grimoire". Ever since i-Pod every manufacturer and his brother bring out some toy starting with "i-....." as it is trendy and people can tell all their friends they have an i-something.

Even OXO (USA) have brought out a range of kitchen stuff called 'i-series'... not that I spend all my time looking at can-openers unless they can play MP3.
The BBC and their 'Podcasts'.
Bored unimaginative Marketing Men tying to justify themselves, you know.

But don't get too excited about CAD. It might help design and look pretty but then you've got to make the pcb... and that's a whole 'nother subject.

By the way, I was told that if I go to Kabul I won't be allowed to watch the Jeremy Kyle show on TV.
Because of the Telly Ban.

olden

Oh, I was 'future planning' and having a little joke.

A Grimoire is your book of spells. ie. your little book of notes / circuit designs / code snippets which you refer back to in a few weeks time when you've forgotten how you did such-n-such.

Yes, CAD is exactly that and makes circuit board design easier. (I won't say 'a joy' though anoraks may disagree).

The CAD I use allows you to generate 'MACROS' which is an anorak word for circuit schematic/artwork snippets which you can save and then paste into your design. e.g. you design a little circuit, say, a power supply. You save it as a 'macro' and then months down the line when you're doing something else and want a power supply you just add it into your new design, almost cut'n'paste. Saves the brain.
An electronic Grimoire = e-Grimoire.

Many CADs you just cut'n'paste anyway, so Macro is slightly old-fashioned.

I have a notebook of pencil-drawn circuits, notes and code snippets. I really ought to get out more.

I was being ironic when I said "i-Grimoire". Ever since i-Pod every manufacturer and his brother bring out some toy starting with "i-....." as it is trendy and people can tell all their friends they have an i-something.

Even OXO (USA) have brought out a range of kitchen stuff called 'i-series'... not that I spend all my time looking at can-openers unless they can play MP3.
The BBC and their 'Podcasts'.
Bored unimaginative Marketing Men tying to justify themselves, you know.

But don't get too excited about CAD. It might help design and look pretty but then you've got to make the pcb... and that's a whole 'nother subject.

By the way, I was told that if I go to Kabul I won't be allowed to watch the Jeremy Kyle show on TV.
Because of the Telly Ban.
ah, i-see.
Don't go to Kabul, its full of foriegners.