SPI ILI9341 LCD Display

erco

Attachments

lbenson

Easy on a micromite, easy on an esp32 with annex. To me, not worth the effort on a picaxe. Free is free, but if I wanted the functionality, I'd probably use a nextion.

inglewoodpete

The ILI9341 is a great little colour display with touch input capability. Unfortunately, with so many pixels and the PICAXE's limited RAM, it's not really suitable for a PICAXE to drive. The slower processing capability of the PICAXE's tokenised code means that updating the screen will be very slow, even when you'd developed optimised code.

I use a couple of the larger ILI9488s but they are driven by PIC32s. Great resolution, colour and touch capability but updating the whole screen, while quick, is not lightning fast.

Last edited:

Solar Mike

Perhaps a solution to using one of those displays with a Picaxe, would be to build it on the Arduino platform and use a spare input as a serial connection which the picaxe could write too in a similar manner to the serial LCD. With Arduino's costing only a few $ on AliExpress, this would make an inexpensive option.
Unfortunately the Picaxe is rapidly becoming a dinosaur and superseded by newer 32bit chip modules like the 'Micro Mites' also running basic.

Circuit

Unfortunately the Picaxe is rapidly becoming a dinosaur and superseded by newer 32bit chip modules like the 'Micro Mites' also running basic.
Whoa! Not at all! It is all a question of horses for courses. I have just been on the MicroMite forum recommending a member to look at PICAXE for an application which requires very low power and relatively simple operation of micro stepper motors.

I keep a full range of PICAXE chips, MicroMites and Armmites, choosing whichever is appropriate for any particular application. My last project saw the use of six PICAXE 14 PICS working from commands sent from a MicroMite. PICAXE is no dinosaur and is not superseded by MicroMites; they compliment each other and allow the user to select from a wider range of MicroChip PICs programmable in BASIC than would otherwise be possible.