SP03.exe, Speech Module config software HANGS

Larrysparts

When I try to use the config software for the SPE030 Speech Module the software hangs whenever I press TEST or SET; I get a "Program not responding" message.

When I press 'Program" it works fine and the module itself seems OK, but I have to program after each entry to keep it from hanging.

I am running XP. Any help would be nice.

Toxopholist

SPE030 Speech synthesiser

Hi, I can't offer any help except to say that you're not alone. I'm having the same problem. In addition the unit will not play the stored phrases when the appropriate pin is shorted to 0V. It just buzzes. It will only play phrase 1 on start up.

I also had to use an old PC with a serial port and the original download cable. It would not connect to the USB download canle AXE027 at all. This was on a system that uses this cable to program conventional PICAXE chips so the hardware is all working fine.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Try the latest version of the config software from www.robot-electronics.co.uk

Also make sure you have downloaded the latest version of the datasheet from the PICAXE website - there was an error in earlier versions describing the 'hard wired' output numbers.

Toxopholist

Which version of SP03.EXE???

Hi. Thanks for that. The version from them works without hanging. which is great. However, that version only supports Com1 and Com2 so it can not be used with the AXE027 USB to serial cable. This is on Com4 on my system.

papaof2

The USB com port number is usually changeable.
If the PC does not have a physical COM2, you could change it to that.
Under XP (assuming admin rights):
Right-click My Computer
Click Properties->Device Manager->ports(COM&LPT)
Right-click on the device
Click Properties->Port Settings->Advanced
Change the Com Port Number
Click OK all the way back ;-)

John