soldering alternatives - conductive glue, soldering paste ...?

------------------------------------------------------------
SOLDERING ALTERNATIVES
- CONDUCTIVE GLUE/SOLDERING PASTE ... ?

i am looking for a reliable, not-too-expensive alternative
for soldering connections
& found conductive glue/paste products as listed in the following;
i assume that there is nothing that really replaces
soldering but would like to know, if you probably
tested any of these or may recommend a specific
product suitable for "sticking" components onto pcb's

any hint is highly appreciated!

PRODUCTS

http://de.rs-online.com/web/c/?searchTerm=loet+paste&sra=oss
solder paste/ solder glue
... based on silver

http://www.ponoko.com/make-and-sell/show-hardware/2201-a-solder-paste-50g-leaded?source_node=ponoko_united_states#main-image
solder paste
... needs heat to harden out,
cheaper than silver based glue

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/b70c/
"Wire Glue"
... does not need heat to harden out,
based on graphite powder,
cheapest of all i found so far

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-Conductive-Glue-and-Glue-a-Circuit/
... selfmade, based on graphite powder

TESTS/RATINGS/COMMENTS

http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?70,21723

"Wire Glue"
... it's consistence might be too brittle,
using additional expoxy might make up with this issue

Haku

I've not had any experience of using wire glue but have used solder paste for soldering SMD components, it's essentially tiny beads of solder in a flux liquid, you put it where you want the soldering done and then apply heat to melt the solder, either by heating the whole circuitboard or a hot air gun.

srnet

"i am looking for a reliable"

Stick to solder then.

Why are you looking for an alternative ?

mrburnette

Actually, a reasonable question... probably the wrong forum, however.
I have some extensive experience with WireGlue brand of microfine carbon... in short, it works, but must be reinforced after the cure time with a non-flexible coating.
I have used the silver based products for repairs, they too work, but are also fragile.
Both products I have used exhibit the same electrical properties- wider traces lower resistance, smaller lengths lower resistance, and thiner films (thickness) lower resistance. Clamping or motion limiting clips are a must during the curing process. The two or more contact surfaces must be clean and non-tarnished.

Try Instructables for more information.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-Conductive-Glue-and-Glue-a-Circuit/step1/Materials-for-the-Conductive-Glue-and-Circuit/?f=m

Do not expect resistance free connections. But understanding product limitations and usage, there is a niche market for these concoctions.

premelec

Auto window defroster paint...

I haven't used it but have seen it advertised for patching auto window defroster traces - so it must be able to take a lot of current and some heat...

thanks for all of your replies!*

thanks a lot for all of your replies!*

I started looking for an alternative*solution because
i am not working with electronics (or diy'ing) on a regular base,
hence i do lack the practice (& skills) when it comes to soldering
which made me search for an alternative solution
"just stick your component onto the pcb" sounded so pleasant ....
to a beginner like me ...

@mrburnette
thanks for your comments on Wire-glue
& silver based products -
will help me to avoid problems once i start working
with these materials !

so - ideally-:
no powders, liquids, lotions or alike but "the real thing" ?
will have to get myself more proto boards and continue practicing
... &, besides, test some of the alternative pastes and glues

srnet

If you stick everything together, and when you switch it on your latest creation does not work .....

What do you do ?

Dippy

What do you do?
Post a question on the Forum :)

It's probably OK in certain apps, but soldering only takes a little practice and a good joint is electrically AND mechanically good.
A srenet suggests; gluing will be awful if you have to fix or retrofit and modifiy.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I've only used conductive paint to fix up broken tracks and found it easier and more reliable to solder a strand of wire on as a bridge. There is stick-down copper track which is quite impressive but I think you still have to solder to that.

IMO, learn soldering, it's not too hard and will likely work out cheaper and be more reliable. It's a worthwhile skill to gain.

Paix

so - ideally-:
no powders, liquids, lotions or alike but "the real thing" ?
will have to get myself more proto boards and continue practicing
... &, besides, test some of the alternative pastes and glues
I don't think that Hippy, Dippy, Technical et al will hate me for this; buy proto boards by all means, but buy yourself a bit of Vero Board or other similar strip board to practice your soldering on. Something with lots of area for you to practice on and relatively cheap. So very yesterday now that a lot of component leads have seemingly become thinner . . .

Get a good reliable iron from an established name and no budget rubbish. Don't even consider lead free solder, it's the stuff of heart ache and a right pain. If you have any problems sourcing 60/40 tin/lead solder, then try Rapid Electronics. the last time I looked they had so much that I was spoiled for choice. A 250g reel will last you a long time. Then keep your iron nice and clean.

Haku

I actuallly find stripboards more difficult to work with than purposely manufactured PCB's with solder resist because there's more surface area for the solder to heat up and stick to on stripboards. I don't have the funds to buy PCB's so I make do with stripboard but with some precision track cuts you can put SMD components on there like SOT-23 ICs.