SMD electrolytic cap labelling

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
The joys of owning a soldering iron and having friends with a, "I might have broken this", tearful glaze; anyone know what value this SMD cap would be, or where I could find the answer ...

16V

The last line I think I am okay with :)

slimplynth

googled eyes? Time to delegate

Would it be rude to pop it into a bag and post it, a cheque and a very brief note to RS components...

"Tinternet connection down, please post a replacement - keep the change" :D

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
It's very much like the small cans on the Rapid link eclectic gave. I note one is marked -

16E

So it may have been a bad assumption on the "V" meaning voltage, perhaps a tolerance.

This is a cap off a PCI tuner card, bent while being removed ( understandable as it's 1/4" over-sized for a PCI card and crammed into a small factor riser assembly ). It looks to me like it's part of the PSU, near a fuse and what looks like a regulator, one side to 0V / chassis, the other to another two-legged regulator looking thing, paralleled with a smaller SMT ceramic cap.

Apparently it still worked okay without the cap, so probably best to leave it that way, start trying random caps if there are any noticeable problems and see if they go away.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
It is still a bit of a mystery, 22uF 16V would be my guess. Having cut the plastic base support off, there's just enough of the legs left to get the tip of a probe on so next time I'm in Maplins I shall give one of their 'better than mine' meters a test drive :)

Thanks for all the links.

SD2100

Arn't these tin cans marked like the following:

XX <---- Date code
XX <---- Capacitance
XX <---- Voltage

Andrew Cowan

...next time I'm in Maplins I shall give one of their 'better than mine' meters a test drive :)
That's a great way of identifying unknown components - they have all their component analyzers on display. Might even buy one, if I need it enough!

A