setting up a new windows 7 computer to use the Editor

Gramps

We are setting up a new windows 7 computer and have the Editor installed. Then we installed the download cable auto install software.
Are we ready to plug in the cable?
I want to be able to remove the serial cable from one machine and plug it into the new one, then put it back in the old machine later. Does it need to be reconfigured each time?

MurrayJ

You should be good to go with the serial cable, as you seem to be aware to install the software for the download cable before plugging it in. Most of the time it will work fine. I'm sure if you have any problems someone here will sort it out.

Once the editor and download serial cable software have been installed using the cable on another computer and then back on the original computer is usually is fine, please note though I think it is recommended that you use the same physical USB port for each computer every time or windows might get confused and try to install the serial drivers again.

Gramps

I noticed it was looking for Port three so we'll have to find out which one that is on the new computer

lbenson

I noticed it was looking for Port three so we'll have to find out which one that is on the new computer
If you've installed the driver, you need to plug in the cable and see which port Windows assigns it to. The COM port for the cable will not exist until you plug it in for the first time (and Windows assigns a COM port number).

inglewoodpete

Further to lbenson's comment, the port numbering is local to the computer that the AXE027 is plugged into. The only time you need to align or adjust port numbers is if you transfer your PICAXE code from one computer to the other AND you are using the #COM xx directive in your code. If this is the case, then the easiest solution is to edit your code to suit the port ID.

Gramps

I'm gradually transferring all the files including picaxe files over to the new machine and want both of them to work for a while.
Our old HP laptop is having overheating issues and also some memory glitches. The new HP is a Windows 7 desktop, one of the last sold in retail store when windows 10 came out.

erco

Hey Gramps! erco here from Parallax too.

You should be fine swapping your cables back & forth. I've set up 9 laptops for programming school. With fresh Windows 10 installation, every computer defaults to com 3. We mix & match cables, computers and physical ports and everything keeps working fine on com 3. I also have an older HP6305 desktop (refurb) which has a real serial port on back. That shows up as com 1, and if I use a USB serial adapter that's on com 3 also.

BTW, you can still get the free Windows 10 upgrade if you want. Per this article, you just make an installation media USB drive for the latest version (v1809) off another computer and shove that drive into your new computer to be upgraded. It really works, I've done three Windows 7 laptops just this month. If you're not SURE you want Win10, you could clone your HDD and just upgrade one, so you could swap back to Win7 instantly any time. Merry Christmas!

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

Gramps

Thanks for the input everybody!
Should we start the Editor before plugging in the cable?

Gramps

Just as I feared. It does not work.
Cable can't find comport. "no comport available"
At least the cable still works in the old computer!

Last edited:

inglewoodpete

Just as I feared. It does not work.
Cable can't find comport. "no comport available"
At least the cable still works in the old computer!
Can you run the Windows 7 Device Manager? With the Device Manager window open, plug in the programming cable. The list of devices should update to show the new (but possibly unrecognised) device: the programming cable, as a USB device. Right click on the new device identified in the list and then select "Update Driver".

Gramps

Yes we open the device manager the device is showing as a USB device We right click on the new device identified and select update driver and the computer says cannot find the driver

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
We right click on the new device identified and select update driver and the computer says cannot find the driver
You need to download the driver and extract its contents to a separate directory or use the ones which come with PE6, probably found some place like -

C:\Program Files (x86)\Revolution Education\PICAXE Editor\USB Drivers\AXE027

When pointing Device Manager to the directory, the top level directory must be selected; the one containing the 'amd64' and 'i386' sub-directories.

Installation is a two-step process as two drivers must be installed. If the second step is not completed then there will be issues in accessing the installed AXE027 cable. After installing the first driver look for any new exclamation marked devices.

Installation instructions can be found in - http://www.picaxe.com/docs/axe027.pdf

Gramps

Success! We were able to copy and paste bfgstew's code to the Editor and load it to the 28 pin picaxe using the serial cable on the new computer.!!!
It installed on comport 4!
Next can we unplug it and reinstall it in the old machine??

inglewoodpete

Well done. I'm glad you're making progress.
Next can we unplug it and reinstall it in the old machine??
Yes, most USB devices (including the AXE027) are plug-and-play. Try it: the road can't be any rougher than what you have already crossed!

The only thing you have to remember when unplugging and plugging in your AXE027 is that you will need to click on the "Refresh COM ports" link in PE6. Once PE6 is open, it does not automatically discover COM ports when they are added (plugged in).

Gramps

Didn't try that yet, but we did call up a different piece of code and try to load it. Error "Can't find open port com4"
We refreshed the com port but still the same error............
Checking the device manager and properties says "device working properly"
AH! The serial cable works on my other picaxe!

Last edited:

inglewoodpete

Didn't try that yet, but we did call up a different piece of code and try to load it. Error "Can't find open port com4"
It is in the Device Manager list but what Com Port number does the Device manager report? See my list:
Capture.JPG

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Checking the device manager and properties says "device working properly"
AH! The serial cable works on my other picaxe!
Are you sure it said "Can't open port COM4" and not some other error like "Hardware not found" ?

It is very odd that it would not find the COM Port but will program another PICAXE on that COM port.

Gramps

This time when I tried it it said Hardware not found but a program will load to the other picaxe but I am sure I read correctly the first time

inglewoodpete

This time when I tried it it said Hardware not found but a program will load to the other picaxe but I am sure I read correctly the first time
"Hardware not found" means that the interface is working but it is not getting a valid response back from the PICAXE when the PE tries to "talk" to it.

Can you get a response from that board (PICAXE) from either computer?

Gramps

Okay here's the update.

We are able to transfer the serial cable from one computer to the other and back again successfully.
Loading first " hello world" from one computer and then loading "hi World" from the other computer. Each time we refreshed the com ports before downloading the program. It's working well.
The problem is with our 40 pin chip, not the serial cable.
thank you for all your help!

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
The problem is with our 40 pin chip, not the serial cable.
If the 40X2 and its board have ever worked then it probably just needs a Hard Reset; either a power-cycling or a press on the Reset button if it has one.

Gramps

Yes learned how to do a hard reset sometime ago finally got around to trying it and it was successful on the first try thank you