Setting up a Mac: AXE027 and PLX-DAQ

ed1066

I have a project where I am using a PICAXE controller to control water heating at solar thermal hot water systems. Things are going well and I am using the controller for monitoring as well - by outputting data every few mins to an Excel spreadsheet. I have several installations and I use whatever old laptop I can get to do the data logging in excel. So far they have all used windows.

At my latest place, the owner has a spare Mac laptop. It's modern and runs OS X 10.8.3. I have not been able to get AXE027 installed. It all seems fine but then I can't see the file

/dev/tty.usbserial-xxxxxxx

(There were about four /dev/tty.* files listed)

I did the instructions in "5.1) Trouble shooting" but no joy. I did notice later that the file

/system/library/extensions/FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext

was not present, so perhaps the chgrp command may have been ineffective. Could the problem be that I downloaded the installation software from my windows PC and then transferred it to the Mac with a USB stick? I initially unzipped (using the mac) onto the stick and ran it from there, later I repeated from the hard disk.

Note - this is the first time I have ever encountered a mac, so perhaps I have done something silly. (I did manage to login as root to troubleshoot, which I was very proud to achieve)

I don't need to program the PICAXE with the Mac but I do need to establish the connection, so I assume the MacAXEPad is the way to go. However, I also need the PLX-DAQ software to set up the excel monitoring. I cannot find it online in a Mac format. So shall I abandon the whole Mac enterprise and try to source another old windows laptop? Or is there an alternative to PLX-DAQ?

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I would suggest sourcing another Windows laptop. You know it works, are familiar with setting it up and using it, and you will probably have things working quite quickly. Job done.

Then you can focus on the Mac at leisure. If you can find a way to make it work you can later swap the laptop for the Mac and have a laptop ready for the next installation, plus the knowledge of how do do it Mac-style for the future.