Servo driver board is no longer available

ajbajjer

AXE024 PICAXE-08 Servo Driver Board is no longer available. May I ask the forum to suggest alternatives? I am a beginner. Many thanks in anticipation.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Welcome to the PICAXE forum.

The AXE024 is basically just a PICAXE-08M2 with connections for four servos with each drive line via 330R resistors. Most PICAXE boards can be used to control servos in the same way, and it would be easy enough to build the same on breadboard or strip board.

The datasheet shows the circuit of the AXE024 -

http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/docs/AXE024V2.pdf

The AXE021 PICAXE-08 Proto Board might be a good option to build that circuit on -

https://www.picaxestore.com/axe021

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Most people now use AXE231 for servos, it has the same 3 pin headers but is physically smaller than the AXE024 was, hence the reason it has been more popular in recent years.

ajbajjer

Thank you for your relies. Much appreciated. At present AXE231 is beyond my abilities to construct and use.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
At present AXE231 is beyond my abilities to construct and use.
The surface mount chip is pre-fitted to the PCB so it's only necessary to solder in the header pins and download jack if desired, or one can simply solder wires direct to the PCB holes.

ajbajjer

It is over forty years since I used a soldering iron! I do not have a download cable ... yet.
Failing eyesight, arthritis in wrists and fingers do not help with SMT so excellent news chip is premounted.
I need to:
* overhaul my tool box and replace/add as necessary
* practice with Veroboard eg Pocket Money Projects from MERG
* install software on laptop
* study manuals with reference to PICAXE servo interfacing
* make a shopping list for a project to introduce automation to a model railway diorama.

lbenson

It is over forty years since I used a soldering iron!
. . .
I need to: * overhaul my tool box and replace/add as necessary
. . .
* make a shopping list for a project to introduce automation to a model railway diorama.
If overhauling your toolbox includes buying a soldering iron, it's possible to do that very cheaply. Many here could point you to excellent soldering stations, but for my money, and level of activity, it's hard to beat this $10 Radioshack 15 Watt iron from Amazon.

10 years ago, the Radio Shack tips didn't last, but the present ones do (even after having been left on overnight--don't ask me how I know). The tips are replaceable with those for the well-regarded Hakko line available here. (Those tips include a quite fine one suitable for larger SMD parts if you should decide to attempt them).

For hobby use, 60/40 lead solder is by far preferable to the lead-free (which melts at a higher temperature).

Perhaps the most important thing for older eyes is light and magnification. I use a headlamp and Dollar Store reading glasses--3X, or 4X or 5X if I can find them.

I probably make several hundred to a thousand+ solder joints in a year, and this gear works for me.

JimPerry

Radio Shack don't exist in the UK anymore. You need to set a budget and the forum can help deciding what to get … I recommend Antex XS25 for an iron .. about £25 .. so budget is important
:confused:

ajbajjer

Toolbox is now overhauled. My trusty Antex is working beautifully - PAT tested via a friend. Last year my wife bought me a LED light/magnifier. I also use +4D glasses and a loupe. I am now in the process of ordering some Pocket Money Project kits using TTH components and Veroboard. I can make mistakes (not too many I hope) and not worry about cost etc. before enbarking on my model rail project. Thank you again for help and advice offered. Much appreciated.