Serial to BASIC Stamp via Download Cable

ARTAUD

Hi,

I am a french teatcher.
I use Basic STAMP 1 to make a robot. I want use Picaxe Programming editor but i have a problem.
Nothing is transfered when i click run buttom.

My cable :
http://www.imageshotel.org/images/toto1/cable.png

My electronic card :
http://www.imageshotel.org/images/toto1/carte.png

Basic STAMP 1 :
http://www.imageshotel.org/images/toto1/basic stamp1.gif

I tried to put a reset buttom but there is the same problem again.
I think there is no communnication between PC and Basic STAMP but I don't understand why.

Can you help me ?

Sorry for my english.
Thanks

Dippy

The PICAXE Programming Editor is for programming PICAXE only.

The BASIC Stamp Editor is for programming Stamps.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
View Options shows two Basic Stamp options but I am not sure to what extent the Programming Editor supports Basic Stamp Modules or whether the PICAXE programming lead is compatible with those modules.

Dippy

Ooops yes, Stamp1.
I still wouldn't do it though.

Anyway, what's the problem with using the Stamp Editor?

PS. Don't ask any Stamp techno questions here :)

ARTAUD

Are you sure Basic STAMP is not compatible ?
I know it's more easy to use BASIC STAMP EDITOR but Picaxe programming editor have graphic editor.
It's more easy for children.

Dippy

I think this may have to be aimed at Technical, so I'll bump it.

(Can you make an adaptor board to take a PICAXE? It may be better in long run.)

jglenn

Use PICAXE chips, they are lower cost than the Stamp. Just as powerful from what I can see. The only problem I have run into so far is the 250uS instruction time, some of my projects involve rather rapid I/O operations, in that case I use a raw PIC chip buffer. I like Basic because I am not a C programmer, comfortable with assembly, but Basic is much easier for certain operations, like serial, or math operations. Binary computations wear thin, multiplying by shifting, or dividing only works with powers of 2.

The Parallax Propeller looks interesting, for higher power apps, I wonder if the Rev-Ed people will ever come out with something like that. Would like to see some macro commands for telemetry use, and maybe a GPS high level utility.
:p

Wrenow

Interesting thought - The Propellor with a bootloader (or would it be 9 - opne for each cogg)? that can be programmed from the Picaxe PE. Sounds like a VERY interesting marriage with lots of possible offspting. Of course, the X2 should be nice when it arrives.....

By the way, Artaud, no reason to apologize for your English. Your question was well=framed and clear (to me, at least), and enclosing the relevant wiring diagrams was also a wise choice. Trust me, your English is far better than my French. :)

Cheers,

Wreno

Last edited:

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
The Programming Editor software supports programming the Stamp 1, this is historical for some old educational modules still in use in Scotland. Naturally PICAXE chips are much cheaper!

However the home-made cable/circuit shown just won't work with Stamp. You need to invert the signal, using a MAX232 type device for serial communication with the Stamp.

jglenn

The propeller is a pretty complex and not cheap chip. I don't have any plans for it at this time, maybe in the far future. Possibly to multitask video, RF duplex data radio, and real time sensor array control. There is a low level language and higher level Spin. It reminds me of the TI MSP430 usb stick, cheap and cute, but the software is not for beginners. The instructions on how to use the a/d are about 8 pages, same for the flash memory. Arrrrg. Not easy.

I am working on a PICAXE directing a few $1 pic chips on tasks for a control system. The pics handle simple rapid I/O at 1uS inst time, the AXE is for supervisory operation. :cool: