Serial -> TCP/IP IC

sevs3

Does anyone know of an IC that you can interface with a picaxe that will be able to convert data into TCP/IP.

The reason I ask is that i was asked about interfacing the Picaxe to a SCADA system they were thinking of making. I have been looking at the SimpleLAN etc, but i dont think that will work being UDP (I dont know much about all the protocols :rolleyes:).

Any help would be appreciated.

steliosm

You have the option of receiving UDP packets or getting the data through HTTP.
If you simply want a serial-to-ethernet you might as well check the Siteplayer module.

Brietech

The "SimpleLan" device from Avcomtec (www.avcomtec.com, i think). It is only like $30, and even allows you to send e-mail, in addition to letting you get/post info to a website (it has an onboard server).

andrewpro

I've used the lantronix stuff a number of times, and you cant go wrong with it...both the wifi and wired one. Fantastic little devices.

Be aware that with all of these devices your going to have to do some work to interface and configure them. I know the lantronix ones can be done from a computer via http or tftp, or the serial link. It's generally not jsut pop it in and go. I used an 18x with the wired lantronix port and spent somewhere around 30% of the code space just making the software to deal with the port. It's something ot be aware of.

--Andy P

steliosm

Just out of curiocity, what kind of data will the SCADA system get from the PicAxe?
If you can use small code space then those modules described above could possible work. As Andypro said, those modules require some code space in order to be used. For example, the email function used 90% of the 08m's code space. See here the snippets: http://www.steliosm.net/picaxelan.html

If your code is big then maybe you should thing about using a PC, between the PicAxe and the SCADA, wich will do the the 'hard work'

sevs3

Sorry bout the delayed reply dudes, i have been living at TAFE trying to get this EV finished. Im not sure what kind of data the SCADA system will be recieving, I will hopefully be able to ask tonight. I suspect it is so there can be sensors specifically set up for our needs. Having a PC between the Picaxe and the SCADA system if definately an option, however it isnt any 'fun' :p

The lantronix gear looks very impressive. I have been also looking at:
http://www.maxstream.net/products/xtend/oem-rf-module.php
as it says in the datasheet that it is compatible with SCADA systems. Although i suspect it is just a wireless module and you have to write the code for it.

I will update you as i get the info. Cheers for your help.

MORA99

That's what "GET/POST" means... :S
I read it as you could get/post to another website from the simplelan, which you cant since the chip cant do tcp, other than email.
But if needed one could send a udp to a server that does the interaction.

steliosm

The chip can do TCP but it is only used for the HTTP session.
As far it concerns the HTTP the only method that can be used is GET. At least this is what the examples in the manual show. I'll make some tests with the POST method to see if it works.