Serial/I2C LCD Shield for Axe401

BillyGreen1973

As some of you may remember, I started thinking about a Serial LCD shield for the Axe401 Shield Base.

I had an idea that it would function just as the Axe033 Serial LCD module does, and use the same commands etc.
Well the easiest way to do that was to use the Axe033 firmware chip to base my shield on. So I did this.
I also kept the onboard DS1307 RTC, as it is useful, and is also in keeping with the Axe033.

I did however decide to take the opertunity to add a couple of extras.
I added an onboard temperature sensor (DS18b20),
I added a pair of I2C headers to allow easier connection of other sensors or I2C modules.
I also added back light control. This is to allow the back light to be ON, OFF or anywhere inbetween using the HWPM command.

This board was my first attempt at using the 'Toner Transfer' method of PCB production, and after a few attempts, found a procedure that works for me.
I used Diptrace for the PCB layout, and again this was a learning experience.

As I decided to use only single sided board (I will be doing double sided from now on!) I had to use a few 'link' wires. These are on the layout as 0Ω resistors

Anyway here it is. There is a bit of a manual available (posted below), that details the parts used, has the board track layout, and a few code examples.

A couple of photos..

Attachments

Last edited:

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Also note that the LCD which Rev-Ed supplies and ships with an actual AXE033 has its interconnect pins on the lower left of the display rather than upper left, with pin 1 being two-in from the right ...

14 13 12 11 ... 4 3 2 1 K A

So it does fit the shield, overhangs the battery, but needs care with pin alignment and will need to have flying leads to allow backlight control if the LCD supports that.

BillyGreen1973

Texas:
Yes, I had planned on doing that but wasn't sure which LCD I was going to use, so wasn't sure where to put the holes. Adding the holes would mean re-routing of a couple of tracks, but no big deal.

Hippy:
I did notice that on the Axe033, but from what I could find out, the Axe033 LCD doesn't have the 'standard' pinout. Because of this I decided to go with the standard 1-14,A,K pinout to allow more LCD's to be just 'plug-n-play'

Thanks for the input, and welcome anyones comments or ideas. :)

Last edited:

Phil bee

For a first go at using a new method of making boards you did a very neat job, this is an exelent project with a great manual thanks.

Johnmb

Shield? as in days of olde?

I am unfamiliar with 'shield' used in this context. I know what a Faraday shield is but not a LCD shield.
John

cactusface

Hi Billy,
You make my own resent efforts look like a waste of time, a really nice project and usefull project. All that time I fiddled around on Diptrace to produce a Shield with one IC a fet and a couple of resistors..... Can I say more? I was going to say where's the code but I've found that too in the PDF. I just might copy this.

Thanks and regards.
Mel.

BillyGreen1973

What can I say, thanks for the compliment! The Diptrace file for the shield is attached for you to use. The track layout could be much better but this was my first project using diptrace, and I have a bit more experience with it now.

To use this diptrace file you will need to change the file extention from .txt to .dip

Thanks

Attachments

cactusface

Hi Bill,
Again! Can you tell me is the LCD driver chip from the Axe033 the same as the LCD firmware (FRM010) or the new 18M2 idea! as I can't see any resonator! or reset, Oh I think I've answered my own question??
Many thanks for the PCB File, did I see a schematic anywhere it would be useful to get the board together...

Regards
Mel.

PS. Your PCB seems to have a few traces not routed, (around 4 Res) or have I got it wrong? I will attach my simple board... As usual change txt to dip

View attachment Sheild-MOD.txt
View attachment DipTrace Schematic - Shield18M2-LCDModule.pdf

Last edited:

BillyGreen1973

The Axe033 firmware chip is different to the FRM010 and the 18M2 driver chip.
The untraced route you mentioned are just jumper links (i.e. 0Ω resistors) I put them on the layout so it would pass the DRC design check.
As for the schematic, I have a confession, I accidently deleted it:rolleyes: I only have a backup copy, but that one is far from complete.

cactusface

The Axe033 firmware chip is different to the FRM010 and the 18M2 driver chip.
The untraced route you mentioned are just jumper links (i.e. 0Ω resistors) I put them on the layout so it would pass the DRC design check.
As for the schematic, I have a confession, I accidently deleted it:rolleyes: I only have a backup copy, but that one is far from complete.
Hi Techincal, Dippy, etc.. Is that right! not that I doubt Bill, it just seems a waste having so many variations of the same thing? Anyone got a pin-out or cct??

Bill yes I see what you mean about the links. I just get Diptrace to add wire links on the top side. This might have been your first attempt with Diptrace, but your skills show though, you must have done this kind of WORK before.
Again many thanks and regards to all.
Mel.