Serial download cable - wire colors?

Sean87

Hi all,

I lost the stereo jack for download cable so I had to cut the cable itself to solder them into my PCB. There are 3 wires in there colored Black, Red and Pink (creamy). I wonder if somone knows which wires are GND, Receive and Transmit?

Thanks.

eclectic

Hi all,

I lost the stereo jack for download cable so I had to cut the cable itself to solder them into my PCB. There are 3 wires in there colored Black, Red and Pink (creamy). I wonder if somone knows which wires are GND, Receive and Transmit?

Thanks.
Make absolutely sure:

Test them with your multimeter.

e

Sean87

Make absolutely sure:

Test them with your multimeter.

e
Well it is kind of tricky, how should I test it with multimeter while there is no signal? Will just plugging the cable into COM port generate some signal on the wires?

Ohh I got the idea, I will use schematic of COM pinout :p

Last edited:

westaust55

@Sean87,

You do not state which serial cable you have.
Is it:
1. AXE027 USB to Stereo plug Serial by Rev Ed
2. AXE026 PC serial comm port to stereo plug Serial by Rev Ed
3. other ?

I double many others have cut their cables open as you propose.

What is stopping you purchasing a new stereo socket.
Rev Ed and various electronics shops sell them:
http://www.techsupplies.co.uk/epages/Store.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Store.TechSupplies/Products/CON039

If you need to test then using the diagrams in PICAXE manual 2 page 44 (currently V7.7) using the continuity or resistance setting to achieve a reading.

Sean87

@Sean87,

You do not state which serial cable you have.
Is it:
1. AXE027 USB to Stereo plug Serial by Rev Ed
2. AXE026 PC serial comm port to stereo plug Serial by Rev Ed
3. other ?

I double many others have cut their cables open as you propose.

What is stopping you purchasing a new stereo socket.
Rev Ed and various electronics shops sell them:
http://www.techsupplies.co.uk/epages/Store.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Store.TechSupplies/Products/CON039

If you need to test then using the diagrams in PICAXE manual 2 page 44 (currently V7.7) using the continuity or resistance setting to achieve a reading.
Well I was in kind of hurry to program my chip (some school stuff) so I had to cut the cable and solder the wires directly into PCB. I tested the wires with multimeter and I found the right ones.

My cable is AXE026. I already ordered a spare cable and some jacks from techsupplies. (It would take 7+ days to get here by airmail)

For someone else who may fall into same problem here is the wires:
BLACK = Receive
RED = Transmit
PINK(It looks like light brown) = Ground

BUT Check yours also with multimeter, it could be possible that wires in your cable be different!

Thanks.

Last edited:

MPep

Well it is kind of tricky, how should I test it with multimeter while there is no signal? Will just plugging the cable into COM port generate some signal on the wires?
Continuity testing is what's required. Pin2 = xxx, 3 = yyy, and 5 = zzz.