SD question for Dippy, et al

Fowkc

You'd still need to implement communications with the SD card, and that means writing your own SPI routines (I think). I looked into this a while ago for a datalogging project.

I'm waiting on the X2 range before I go ahead with SD cards.

Dippy

Totally agree with Fowc.

Unless you can write SD routines using PIC SPI then you'l have wasted $6.95 .
Believe me, it's not easy.
So, with respect, I wouldn't consider that board.

I'm afraid you're not going to get an SD solution for that sort of money.

Michael 2727

I don't like the look of the silk screen, jumper pin labeling much.
e.g. 13V3(4). Which should be, Index - 1, 3V3, (4)
I suspect there may be a few novices
Googling for a 13.3V Regulator :(

I wouldn't say a total waste of money, but it
isn't an instant SD solution either.

Dippy

What I meant was that:- if you are expecting it to give you a direct SD intrface then you are wasting your money. If you bought it thinking you can happily talk to an SD card then it will end up being thrown in the back of your drawer.

I agree with the marking Michael. Chucking 13.3 V at an SD would give amusing results - assuming it was somone else's SD card!

You won't get this for $6.95:-
http://www.fgcvme.co.uk/SDRTC_Prelim_V1.pdf

Last edited:

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
The bottom image on that page does show the marking a little clearer as +3V3(4). Not sure what the numbers in brackets mean; PC LPT Centronix cable connection ?

The board provides a way to connect signals from a PICAXE to an SD/MMC card but little else.

As noted, you'll need to write SPI routines to initialise and comunicate with any card, and you'll need FAT routines on top of that to read or write files which can be created or read using a PC. Getting either of those to work correctly will likely be a long, painful and frustrating process.

demonicpicaxeguy

As noted, you'll need to write SPI routines to initialise and comunicate with any card, and you'll need FAT routines on top of that to read or write files which can be created or read using a PC. Getting either of those to work correctly will likely be a long, painful and frustrating process.
um..... slight understatement...

previous to my decent into lunacy while trying to get an sdinterface to work properly and reliably for almost a year!, i did have some limited and unreliable success with raw pics with initialising a card

contrary to what the sd standards say different manufacturers have implemented the standard in different ways with different tolerances to running voltages eg

some cards specifically want 74 clock cycles to clear the buffers in the card , some cards don't seem to care wether it's 74 or 90 and some want a specific number of cycles

then there is the operating voltage drama ideally 3.3v is what the card should be powered off but there are other problems some cards seem not to like.. eg noise, brownouts that you have to take care of as some cards will tolerate a bit of noise and others have a heart attack also some cards will run fine on as low as 2.5v and others won't

my best advice is to use a genuine sandisk card and follow the sandisk specs as far as spi goes

however there is TONS of information that the data sheets are missing that is relavant

Michael 2727

The bottom image on that page does show the marking a little clearer as +3V3(4). Not sure what the numbers in brackets mean; PC LPT Centronix cable connection ?
Thats what you get using $2 Shop reading Specs.
Although I have seen stranger things on top overlays.
That flamability code 94V-0 worries me also :p

lbenson

Thanks for all the replies. They confirm my previous understanding from bits and pieces in other threads that the real task would be much larger than just having this piece of hardware--not a task I'm prepared to undertake.

ljg

I'm going to go against the grain and defend that board a bit. It looks like a good deal if you have a use for it. It's perfect for a propeller, for instance.

The silk screen is a bit odd, but if you hook it up with an SD data sheet, it isn't hard to figure out.

It comes with the pullups, indicator LEDS and 3 different connector setups, none of which come with a Sparkfun unit costing three times as much.

I'm not worried about fire at 3.3 volts. If I was, I'd throw out my cell phone.

Dippy

"It looks like a good deal if you have a use for it. It's perfect for a propeller, for instance."

....mmm, yes but we're on a PICAXE forum I thought. I reckon a lot of things are a good deal if you have a use for it. But this is useless for direct conenction to a PICAXE if you are under the impression that it will allow you to talk to an SD/MMC card. Or am I wrong?

Anyway, next please...

hax

Somewhere on the net I found a board that allows you to interface to a USB memory stick. Maybe this might help you.

Alas, I have looked for ages and I can't find the link again.

andrew_qld

I have bought stuff from futurlec (.com.au) before and it all comes from thailand. You get no order confirmation- the order just turns up 10 days or so later (for Australia). My first order was missing a couple of IC's and I emailed them- 2 days later I got the reply that they were out of stock and they would be sent in a later delivery. An email or SOMETHING lettng me know this would have been nice. But everything did arrive eventually.

There are ready made SD card soloutions for the picaxe at http://www.fgcvme.co.uk/SDMCC Beta.pdf. Also more information on SD interfacing using Basic/Picaxe at http://www.zbasic.net/forum/about690.html. My gut feeling is that it should work, especially with an X1 part (ie 28X1), but you would just have to play with it to find out. At $7 US the price is not so bad I guess.