SD/MMC Interface

moxhamj

It looks great. But the user guide link on sparkfun's website is broken :( An easy SD interface would be a huge picaxe asset.

krypton_john

Hi Doc,

I managed to get the correct user guide url with a little digging and edited it onto my post above. As I read it, using this thing is a dream.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Should be a dream to use but the proof of the pudding is in the eating. In theory bit-banging an SD/MMC card from a PICAXE should be piece of cake.

The thing which surprised me was no supprt for 4800 baud. That's either a typo in the manual or they only have 3 bits to store the baud rate and are thus limited to eight options. Serial is probably only an option for the X1's which can do background receive. The rest will most likely have to use bit-banged SPI. SPI has an extra busy line and what should be straight forward may turn out not to be.

moxhamj

Krypton_john, are you going to get one and let us know? You would gain admiration and appreciation from all if you get this working, plus a gold star!

krypton_john

Hi Hippy,

If the project already has the complexity, data size and expense of the sd card + interface board then requiring an X1 is not such a problem is it?

To me, what makes this device different and hopefully idiot proof, is the extremely simple command set.

krypton_john

Krypton_john, are you going to get one and let us know? You would gain admiration and appreciation from all if you get this working, plus a gold star!
Well, such rewards are indeed tempting, but I can't think of a use for it at the moment and I'd need something to justify the cost of shipping one of these to NZ.

But then again, this talk of admiration and gold stars is intoxicating....

moxhamj

Seriously, you really would get appreciation from a lot of people. A demo prototype is probably magazine article material, and they pay :)

I read through the data sheet - it was looking great - a simple screen, hyperterminal, an ">" prompt and then suddenly the manual stopped. Just when it was getting interesting. Maybe the writer had to go to the pub.

Last edited:

krypton_john

It is a bit odd that the manual covered boot loading the firmware and nothing else. However given the way the command set works it should be trivial to use with the X1 hserout/hserin commands. Maybe the device is still a bit green? They say in the manual that it does RS232, SPI and in future i2c so it seems to be a work in progress in some ways.

The ability to open files for read and write, get file info and seek file position allows a proper database application as well as long data files and logs - I can see this will be useful for many projects - I just don't have one.

Anyway - It's out of stock at the moment - I'll set a notify on availability and think about it when they are in stock

BCJKiwi

Theres always the uAlfat - proven on the PICAXE with i2c and serial, (Also has SPI but not tested by me).
Available in USB, SD, and TF

BCJKiwi

TF = TransFlash = MicroSD
Card is 15mm x 10mm x 0.7mm thick. Same capacities as SD cards. Have been working with a 1Gb card.

Last edited: