Scroll bars in posts

MPep

Hi Technical,

I see the above in most posts now. Even on small posts that really don't require them.
Is there a way they can be removed?
I find it distracting.
Anybody else notice them?

MPep.

nick12ab

i'm not Technical, I'm 'anybody else'!

You mean inside each individual post or for the entire thread? I'm not seeing them on individual posts.

MartinM57

Nope - never seen those sort of scroll bars. Weird

Pertinent information would be what device, operating system and browser are you using?

MPep

Mmmmmmm..... just noticed that at work this problem exists, and at home all is okay. Weird!!
Both PCs are XP. Work uses IE, at home I use FF.
Will check further at work on Monday.

Dippy

I've never seen them either.
At home I use XP plus IE8 and (rarely) FF. At work I use 7-Pro plus whatever IE is bundled.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Never seen them either; XP using FF and Chrome, nor noticed them on an iPad (Safari?) in either orientation when someone was impressing me with that.

Looking at Page Source there seems nothing special to me about the message body text being rendered, it's not forced into a TextArea box nor anything like that which would box it which could add the scroll bars. Could it be a Use Custom Style Sheet configuration within IE ?

You could find another site running the same forum software and see if that behaves the same way. One pulled at random ...

http://forums.eutechnyx.com/forums/128-New-Comers

TAMeyer

At the risk of stating the obvious, what is your browser's zoom level?
Using this thread, the bottom scroll bar can be induced at ~130%.

Win7
1280x1024

IE 9.0.8112
or
Opera 11.51

Terry

MPep

Perhaps MPep's manager is fed up with MPep playing on the PICAXE Forum instead of working? :)
What's that "W#&K" word again? Haven't heard of it!!
But seriously, the IT guy at work understands PICAXE too, so no problems there.

@Imre777,
Will look into your suggestions. Don't know about the "normal and good" bit. Normal, perhaps, but definitely not good!!

John West

I suggest you play with the display size in your monitor settings (in Control Panel.) A higher screen resolution might get rid of the problem, as the scroll bars are telling you that the forum's display format is larger than the number of pixels in your screen format.

Last edited:

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Note though that the scroll bars aren't around the whole page which is usually a 'this page is bigger than your browser's display area' issue but on individual posts within the page, and only around the post text body itself.

There's nothing I can see which forces a particular area size for post bodies; they should render in as much width as available, and lengthen the display accordingly. It definitely looks like an IE rendering issue to me.

John West

Good point, hippy. I missed that. I probably shouldn't make such conjectures after a 16 hour work-day. Fuzz on the brain. :)

MPep

I agree its a weird problem.
Just changed the work PC to use Firefox. All okay.

Can't be bothered looking into it further, so will leave it at that.

inglewoodpete

I had a similar forum scrollbar problem with IE8 with Windows XP Home. Upgrading to IE9 made no difference.

I got fed up with some unreleated issues I had with XP, so I upgraded to Windows 7 (32-bit) and the unnecessary scrollbar problem disappeared.

Dippy

I've just tried it on 2 PCs with XP Home, 1 PC with Vista and 1 PC with 7-Pro. All using various IE , one using FF.
No issues on any. Sorry, can't suggest a solution. It must be a setting somewhere or else loads of people would have seen this. In any event, I'd blame Microsoft ;)