Schematic Drawing

ZOR

Does anyone know of a really simple schematic drawing program that just has various dill sockets that are just that, ie not a product. Also having a range of symbols, ie diode etc, again not being a product type. Simple line drawing pin to pin. It's just to keep circuits, not for pcb production.

Just wasted 2 hours trying to register design spark as I did register a while ago but it just keeps throwing me out saying email/username already taken, and I have just ditched it as too much time wasting.

Be good if free application.

Thanks

Dippy

Many CAD people provide lite/demo versions which may be OK.
EasyPC (DesignSpark's Dad) , Proteus (Labcenter), Altium, Ranger, Eagle etc. etc.
You'll get dozens of suggestions and it'll end up My Fave CAD :)

There's a nice little one we use at work which is schematic editor + simulator and the name has completely gone out of my head.

Have a looksee to find out which one you are comfortable with.

ZOR

PCB Express

Many thanks, but does it have selectable Blank Dill sockets or do you have to create them? I have a strong feeling I tried it a while back and found it had complicated libraries and was designed for use with a linked PCB manufacturer.

I will have another look at it. Thanks

eclectic

Make your own parts in Express, then,
when you start a project,
load the "box of parts".

Drag and drop what's required
and delete any extra.

e

Attachments

ZOR

Thanks eclectic, I really don't want to spend time doing that. I just downloaded ExpressSCH but really small unwanted library. I could not find if the software had downloads available for more components. The info on their site said it included many components?? Had a look at others but wanted some money so last resort.

SAborn

Gee if you cannot use Express for a basic schematic, then i doubt you will have much luck with any other package, Express is about as simple and as basic as it comes.

Just simply use the retangle tool and draw the IC, if you dont like the basic free library foot prints, most of the simple components like resistors and caps etc, are at the bottom of the library list.

ZOR

I must have a problem with my install, I only have items in the Library Symbols, being Ports and Power inputs. No resistors, diodes, nothing. I will try and install it again

Dippy

I've just tried a couple of CADs; neither provide blank DIL packages in schematic.
ARES will allow you to drop blank DIL (not Dill, that's a herb) in PCB Artwork mode. But nothing like that in the schematic.

However, I have to say that creating a DIL in ISIS takes very little time. I could do a 28pin blank in about 5 minutes... but if you haven't got a spare 5 minutes (i.e. 12x longer than you've been waiting here for a solution) then that's a pity ;)
Personally, I'd get some CAD demos and crack on as I wouldn't have the patience to wait days for a Forum answer - good luck.

ZOR

Thanks everyone. I did another download/repair and now have a library full of bits. Looks good.

EDIT Will keep looking, the Library was full of manufacturers components.

ZOR

Thanks, but I seem to want what I cannot get, just a list of predefined Dill sockets I can pick.
I tried installing Design Spark again, after creating a new email address, and all I got on trying to register was my details could not be saved so I gave up. I now have Eagle, have found libraries but how I get item from a library to a schematic is a mystery at the moment. I think I will just hand draw what I want, far easier.

eclectic

16.35 to 21.05

See posts 7 and 9

You could have downloaded Express, and drawn ALL the DIPs
and other bits by now.

And, it's a bit difficult to edit hand drawings. :)

e

ZOR

Thanks all, I have just found just what I wanted DipTrace, excellent libraries, easy to use, good video tuition.

westaust55

If you do wish to test some alternate program for schematic generation then another option is DIPTRACE also available for free.
Forum member Mycroft (RIP :( ) and myself developed some libraries with the presentation of PICAXE and other often associated chips more to (at least) our liking that are posted in a thread on this forum should you wish to experiment. As Dippy has mentioned above, everyone will have their own favourite so feel free to try a few and see which YOU like best.

EDIT:
I have in fact today just done a few minor update/additions to the DIPTRACE library I have created and posted. See it here at post 3:
http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?10576-DIPTRACE-PCB-Cad

Last edited:

sedeap

It's just to keep circuits, not for pcb production.

Thanks
Do not forget the excellent PEBBLE.
Online, free, simple to follow circuit... and can take a printscreen shot an keep it.
Is what I do sometimes... (to refresh my memory) LOL

C.U.Pals

ZOR

Thanks, but Pebble does not do schematics (or have I missed something)
I have been playing with DipTrace, although it has older Picaxe footprints. I would like to use the "Pattern" drawings for IC sockets but I don't think I can, looked around but could not confirm, anyone know?. I know it's used for the PCB layout mode, but would be nice to use in schematic. Thanks

srnet

Its been said here before, but sooner or later you will want to create your own components, so choose a package where you find it easy to create your own components.

If you accept that you will want to create your own packages, you can move on to selecting a package that works the way you want, rather than searching for a package that does exactly what you want right out of the box or download.

SteveT

Zor, have a look at post #16 in this thread from Westy. His library is excellent. Just follow the thread and download and rename the two files and place them in your 'my library' folder. While you are viewing the thread mentioned by Westy, look at post #2 from Mycroft. If you get his library also IT CONTAINS THE DIP PATTERN's you want.

Dippy

That Dill (try and use proper terminology i.e. DIL) took me 4 minutes in Proteus/ISIS from scratch and that included numbering pins to give connectivity to other components.(And remembering how to do it).

If those other links/libraries aren't appropriate I would suggest having a go yourself with a free/demo CAD.
It isn't that difficult - though some CADs harder than others.
AND it gives you the option to lay out a PCB if you need.

If you persue projects further you will need to create custom components - even Cadence's ORCAD doesn't provide every device on the planet.
And you WILL
I really can't understand your reluctance to create custom devices.... is it exhaustion? ;)

ZOR

Thanks Steve for pushing me back to Westy's thread. Perfect, excellent, that's it DipTrace and Westy/Mycroft libraries. Job done, thanks everybody.

ZOR

I am getting an annoying delay trying to put wires from A to B. It's against going from one to the other in a straight line, it immediately puts a kink in the line when you leave the first component. I tried F11 thinking it was a snap to grid problem but that's not it. ???

Dippy

What do you mean by a kink?
Do you mean that it tries to move the wire to the nearest grid?
Have you selected a really fine grid that doesn't show up on the screen?
I've never used DipTrace but sometimes CADs don't display the grids at particular zoom levels.

Hopefully a DipTrace expert will come along to hold your hand soon.

ZOR

Thanks Dippy. If I am just trying to make a straight wire join between two points it deviates up or down before going to where I want it to go (straight)

DIPTRACE.jpg

The white wire has a mind of it's own. Would be so good if things were easier in life.

Dippy

I can't speak for DIPTRACE but you can get these funnies happening when your terminals are off-grid. It'll try and snap when you click (add node).

Try moving component so terminal sits on grid-point. (I assume in DT that those little squares are the device terminals?).

Anyway, carry on trying, I know nowt about DipTrace.

ZOR

Thanks. I have turned off the grid, still same. The line being drawn does not know where I am going to go to, it puts that kink straight away after leaving the pad. (I think the squares are pad points)

I will get a pad out and start drawing until hopefully someone knows the answer. Regards

SAborn

It might be your grid space settings, try reducing the grid spacings,(2.54mm i use on average)

Like Dippy i dont know Diptrace,.

ZOR

Found it thanks. Right clicking the drawing area there is a Route mode, Automatic and Manual. I set it to manual and now it behaves itself, goes where I take from/to. So thanks all, thrown the paper away.

Dippy

I'm just wondering... in ISIS there is an option which auto-snaps or allows totally manual line drawing.
Is there a similar option in DT?
It may be called something different.
Have you looked in 'Help' under routing/autorouting.

I'm afraid that's the only suggestion I can think of.

EDIT: Aha, you found the answer.
It might be an idea if you persist rather than jumping to the Forum at each step :)

Attachments

westaust55

Yes the squares are the terminals for the currently active device. Typically one device selected at a time but, you can "rubber band" to select a group of components generally to drag as a block.

I run with the grid set at (from memory) 0.006 inch = ~0.15 mm

Yes DipTrace does often put a "kink" in the line. You can easily straighten the line.
If it were dead straight between two device terminals, I recall you cannot move it. Having the "kink" provides both vertical and horizontal segments and enables you to manually massage the line to where ever you want.
EDIT: Just tried and in fact if a line is a single straight segment between two component terminals you can (at least in V2.3.1 ) drag the line/wire around.

To generate a wire/connection you may:
- use the "add wire" feature from button on toolbar. This can be useful to start a new wire at any point and stop at any point. Can be useful for creating a wire/line more where you want it in the first instance.
- just click on a device terminal and then drag/extend the line to the terminal on the desired device (or where ever you wish and right click to end).

It might be an idea if you persist rather than jumping to the Forum at each step
Concur with Dippy. Rather than come in at each point that is not as expected, spend an evening (or two) playing and experimenting to get the hang of DT.
That and reading the manual was how I got going within an evening.
By evening No 2, I was onto creating a new component and working out the pin manager to have pins in numeric sequence with the names I wished to assign.

Last edited:

MartinM57

Give yourself a bit more space

Don't try to connect the line inside the component ie. between the zigzgs of the resistor and the square connection point

Don't worry about the line being jagged when you place it - just left click to attach it to the connection point...
...then press Esc...
...then move over the wire until the cursor changes to a double headed arrow...
...then click and drag the line to where ever you want

Easier done than written :)

ZOR

Thanks all, and I am sorry if I seemed to jump in and out instead of spending time learning. I appreciated the help to get where I am now. Certainly the work put into the library of DipTrace is highly praiseworthy. Thanks Martin, your advice to overcome connections works fine, so now I can catch up getting some of my bits of paper made obsolete. Regards all

kando

Does anyone know of a really simple schematic drawing program that just has various dill sockets that are just that, ie not a product. Also having a range of symbols, ie diode etc, again not being a product type. Simple line drawing pin to pin. It's just to keep circuits, not for pcb production.

Just wasted 2 hours trying to register design spark as I did register a while ago but it just keeps throwing me out saying email/username already taken, and I have just ditched it as too much time wasting.

Thanks
Zor. I had the same problem. I wanted something that could show me different components and had schematic drawing. I am still having the same problems as you with design spark and have given up with it.

I searched for a long time. I'm not an expert in electronics but I wanted to know more.

I found one program which is now getting old in years and the company are moving on to different educational things.
It is a brilliant and easy piece of windows software for electronics and learning. I have had this software and updated it for many years now I still use it because of it's ease of use. It's a shame it does not have the picaxe chips in it but it does what you want
Download the demo version here
Circuit Wizard
It's called Circuit Wizard. try it and see if you like it.

Last edited:

ZOR

Thanks Kando, however the link did not work, but Googling it I could only find a pay version. I am trying to do for free, and trying to avoid so many downloads that don't always fully uninstall, always leave bits and mess registry.

I am slowly moving with DipTrace, it's good but now struggling to find why when I go to print preview I don't immediately see my schematic to print, have to mess about with scaling but then it's so small. I use to write software with visual basic, and made sure whatever i did as a program flowed logically. Never mind it's all there somewhere.

MartinM57

(Yes, Diptrace is my fave CAD program, use it extensively, schematics -> double sided irregular shaped PCBs with internal holes, SMD and TH components, 10 mil spacing etc, export to Gerber -> iteadstudio in 100 off quantities...)

Don't change horses now ZOR - stick with it and it will get second nature. Honest

My print preview on schematic (I always do that first just to check) comes up full size (scale 149%, print scale 100%, scale tables checked, scale to page checked)

Have you set the Sheet Size to A4 in File | Titles and Sheet Setup... menu item?

ZOR

Thanks Martin, no I will not give up. I had better drop out on this as don't want to upset the forum. I went into Titles/Sheet setup, used 150% (no 149% and 100%, nothing there. Played with other values and it's either not there, off the paper??, or too small. It does not keep settings (Template - A4ISO.) I am just going to use screen print as I have tried all settings and getting nowhere.