Runtime Error 7 message with Program Editor & Win98SE

Hugh McCormack

Good evening,

A few days ago I posted a request for assistance that seems, subsequently, to have been deleted.

I have recently learned of the PICAXE system and have downloaded the latest BAS805.exe to my computer. The installation seems to happen with no problem and I find that I have PICAXE Programming Editor and Serial PIC Programmer in my Start menu.

When I click on the Prgramming Editor icon I immediately get a "Runtime Error 7: Out of memory" error message. Serial PIC Programmer will open when I click on its icon (although I can't test its functions because I do not have any PIC chips to program as yet).

I have installed and removed the software three times with no change in the occurrence of the error. What is causing the error message to appear? If it helps the diagnosis, I am running Win98SE ver. 4.10.222 A on a Pentium III with 768 MB of RAM, virtually no other installed software and no Anti-virus at present.

I was hoping to be able to examine the programming process with a view to purchasing some PIC chips for use as an experiment for a model railroad application. I like the simplicity and versitility that the system seems to offer. However, if I can't get Programming Editor to work I won't be able to program any chips so there is not much point in me buying any.

Can anyone offer some suggestions to solve my issue? I would try an earlier version of Programming Editor but I can only find the BAS805 version on the PICAXE website.

Thanks in advance,

Hugh McCormack