Running new versions of Programming Editor on Windows 98 and Me

nick12ab

Putting it simply

In order to get Programming Editor to run on these OSes, you need to install a 'compatibility layer' called Kernelex.

Full Details

To install and use PICAXE Programming Editor on a computer running Windows 98 or Me, you will need the following free downloads:
Installation instructions for offline or multiple online computers:
  1. Download the four/five installers listed above using a computer connected to the internet.
  2. Move the downloads on to a USB drive or another format the internet-enabled computer and W98/Me computers accept. The Windows Installer 2.0 and PICAXE Programming Editor installers need to be in the same folder!
  3. On the target computers, first install Microsoft Layer for Unicode.
  4. Now install Kernelex. Programming Editor worked on Windows Me when installing Kernelex after installing Programming Editor but I only tried before with Windows 98 so install Kernelex first just in case.
  5. Now run the PICAXE Programming Editor installer. It will automatically install Windows Installer 2.0 as long as it is in the same folder. Install Programming Editor as usual.
  6. If you get a runtime error which tells you to install vcredist_86, install it. I got this on Windows 98 but not Windows Me. If you haven't installed Kernelex, you will get an error message regardless of installing vcredist_86.
Installation instructions for one online computer:
  1. Download Kernelex, PICAXE Programming Editor and Windows Installer 2.0. The Windows Installer 2.0 and PICAXE Programming Editor installers need to be in the same folder!
  2. On the target computer, first install Kernelex, the installer for which will download Microsoft Layer for Unicode for you. Programming Editor worked on Windows Me when installing Kernelex after installing Programming Editor but I only tried before with Windows 98 so install Kernelex first just in case.
  3. Now run the PICAXE Programming Editor installer. It will automatically install Windows Installer 2.0 as long as it is in the same folder. Install Programming Editor as usual.
  4. If you get a runtime error which tells you to install vcredist_86, download and install it. I got this on Windows 98 but not Windows Me. If you haven't installed Kernelex, you will get an error message regardless of installing vcredist_86.
Screenshots

On Windows 98, the toolbar icons appear on a lighter background than the colours of the buttons and the undo/redo buttons become grey squares when disabled but this does not affect functionality:

On Windows Me, Programming Editor looks normal.

And yes, you can syntax check and program.

For now at least, no one has to downgrade their laptops to ones without serial ports or upgrade their operating system. However Windows 9x are still an insecure series of operating systems and Kernelex could improve compatibility of viruses as well. it might be wise to choose to only enable Kernelex for programs manually set to use it during the installation process.

The question now is will Programming Editor run on Linux using Wine and Kernelex together?

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Job well done !

The good news : I have 5.5.1 running under Windows 98 SE.

The bad news : And only slightly bad, is that I had to jump through some hoops doing an offline install on my PC but that's probably because I had an older version of Programming Editor installed and I also tried to install the new BAS805.EXE first without having done any of the required steps. I also ran into a 'corrupt Data1.cab' or something like that once I'd done things properly when running BAS805.EXE. Cancelled, ran BAS805.EXE again and it just worked, no errors.

On the target computers, first install Microsoft Layer for Unicode
When UNICOWS.EXE is run it asks where to put files. I simply put them in the directory which held UNICOWS.EXE and everything else - I'm not sure where they should go ! That step may need some clarification.

If you get a runtime error which tells you to install vcredist_86, install it.
I had no need to but when trying to run the downloaded VCREDIST_86.EXE, I get a "linked to missing export..." error and it won't run. Maybe I got a wrong version downloaded ? I recall it's the same error as when I'd tried VCREDIST_86 on 98 before.

When selecting serial ports I ended up with a huge list of "Ready to use" "Communication Ports" ( a legacy of past messing around ) and no idea which was which, but a "Search for AXE027" reported which it was and after selecting that Firmware Checks and Downloads work fine.

The toolbar icons all looked fine for me so probably depends how the Desktop -> Appearance is set.

nick12ab

When UNICOWS.EXE is run it asks where to put files. I simply put them in the directory which held UNICOWS.EXE and everything else - I'm not sure where they should go ! That step may need some clarification.
I just assumed that it was an installer rather than the actual unicows.exe. Clearly I was wrong. I didn't have to install it manually as in both installations I did Windows had internet access.

I had no need to but when trying to run the downloaded VCREDIST_86.EXE, I get a "linked to missing export..." error and it won't run. Maybe I got a wrong version downloaded ? I recall it's the same error as when I'd tried VCREDIST_86 on 98 before.
The toolbar icons all looked fine for me so probably depends how the Desktop -> Appearance is set.
Maybe Windows 98SE is more like Windows Me rather than Windows 98 because the Windows 98 installation in a virtual PC was fresh with no tampering (and no updates). I never tried VCREDIST on Windows Me because I never had to.

mrburnette

For now at least, no one has to downgrade their laptops to ones without serial ports or upgrade their operating system. However Windows 9x are still an insecure series of operating systems and Kernelex could improve compatibility of viruses as well. it might be wise to choose to only enable Kernelex for programs manually set to use it during the installation process.
I do understand the economics of having to replace "good" hardware and the issues associated with new hardware not having traditional serial ports. But I can ONLY agree with this OS bastardisation if target machines are completely off-Internet access; private LAN or no net at all.

While still working in IT architecture, I have seen tests where a non-patched XPsp2 machine would become infected within 20 seconds after being placed on the Internet without firewall protection. And that was 30 months ago.

Non-patched and old, unsupported OS installations are the Typhoid Marys of the Internet.

- Ray
MCSE

nick12ab

On the topic of security, in an educational environment, if the computers were to be connected to the internet then the school can just use whatever student-controlling software they use to set a whitelist of safe websites they can visit on the W98/Me laptops (so picaxe.com, picaxeforum.co.uk and whatever revision sites the school likes to use) and the school will already have a decent firewall on their network anyway to block incoming attacks.

If the school is a Software Assurance customer, they could get Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs legally and for free (assuming that it's free because it is described as being an "exclusive benefit"). This is a "lite" version of Windows XP designed for old computers and therefore natively supports Programming Editor and Windows XP's security updates. As all the laptops are probably identical, you can safely install the OS on one of them and clone the hard drive onto all the other laptops' hard drives to save time by not having to make loads of CD-R copies and manually install it on each laptop. Network installation might also be possible.

Kernelex could also allow you to install current versions of antivirus software on Windows 9x.

mrburnette

Disclaimer: I made a lots of money over time with my MCSE, but I'm retired and quiet frankly have no industry allegiance anymore. I even use a competitor's wireless mobile service because the old company did not see fit to give their retirees decent mobile discounts.

That being said, perhaps with a contained and protected environment with proper firewalls and proxies... perhaps, it works for the institution. Rather than live in such a nightmare, I'm inclined to think that a move to a nice Linux distro with a decent, FREE AV program would be the best move. Linux would give a modern OS to the aging h/w and would offer more security.

Just my opinion. Downside is that the institution IT staff would have to work a bit. Ahhhh.

- Ray