Robber Caught

toxicmouse

You may recall I was trying to get ideas on picaxe controlled dataloggers to deal with some armed robbers a few months ago. On Sunday evening one of the two robbers were caught by the residents.

The robbers have attacked around 50 people that I know of. The one man uses a pump action shotgun, the other a knife. Almost every person attacked suffered injuries, mostly minor, and a few serious stabbings.

Of interest is that these robbers, who have eluded the police for so long, got caught by a bunch of untrained, mostly unarmed residents (but in a very sophisticated operation). I used picaxe dataloggers a few times but this robber was not caught as the result of them. The next project (catching armed robbers about 2km in the other direction) may well use the trusty picaxe again- I'll keep you all posted.

jglenn

Are they robbing stores or individuals? Is the PICAXE going to trigger a camera? Sounds rough down there, maybe people should just pack an AK-47 or Glock. You need to prevent or stop these crimes, documenting them could help catch them I guess. Can citizens carry some heat legally there?

manie

Jglenn: They rob both, stores and individuals. Once upon a time in a country long gone.... we could pack whatever, that would make Arizona look like pasivists.... "but that was once upon a time, many years ago..." says the song. The real problem is policing, or the total lack thereof ! When Commissioner of Police (Jackie) is "thought" to be involved in organised..... well enough said.

Toxicmouse: Hi, from Wit Rivier....
Manie

Dippy

I suppose a small thermonuclear device is out of the question?
A friend of mine has just bought one off Ebay.

manie

It depends on the physical size...... one does not want to flatten a city block, just STUN a robber to dliver said individual to the local (po)lice........

jglenn

If it is like my old city, Cleveland, Ohio, not much different than Beirut or Baghdad. Punks will rob corner stores and shoot the owner, sometimes customers get in the crossfire. All for drugs usually. I was wondering if an induction heater coil could be built into the entrance door. Would sense large metal objects and heat them up rapidly, causing cartridges to fire. Not sure about tooth fillings or keys. They need something. The last incident involved 2 robbers that somehow got the store owners gun and killed him with it.

George Sephton

Im sure you could make a PICAXE controlled robot and give it a gun, in court just say it was all Artificial Intelligence gone wrong, as always ;)

Marcwolf

To Quote from Short Circuit

Admin Guy: "That Robot out there has a armed laser - think what would happen if it fired at a busload of nun's"

Software Guy: "Nun Soup?"