RGB sensing

Coyoteboy

Are there any other modules other than the rev-ed module, that I can interface with the 'axe to get RGB readout? Apart from the cost, the rev-ed supplied module looks like it would not withstand the hot environment I am looking to use it in.

Cheers gurus!

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I can't think of anything other than a web camera or a video framegrabber with serial out.

What sort of "hot environment" are we talking about ?

Coyoteboy

I'd considered individual photodiodes with colour filters but thats too hard to implement. Wihtout giving too much away, we are talking ~200 degrees C airflow, or thereabouts. Some shielding is possible but for the "prototyping" I didnt want to be going through £25+ modules every few days!

moxhamj

I wonder if you could "pipe" the light away from the heat - eg with fibre optics, and then do the sensing where it is cooler?

like Dr_Acula said, pipe the light away with fiber optic

and then use LDRs with filters... would be interested in the results.

Hmmm, a guess at the application is seeing when a cake is starting to burn inside an oven....

Dippy

TAOS and others make a range of sensors.
RGB such as http://uk.farnell.com/4891211/optoelectronics/product.us0?sku=taos-tcs230

And also individual R, G , B & IR filtered sensors in Light-Fq and light-Volts formats.

None will be able to stand 200oC. Any sensor will require shielding or as Drac suggests 'piping' the light away to a safe place. How you do this is a different matter depending on whether the thing you're looking at is a light source or reflector.

If its for telling when your Yorkshire Puddings are burning let me know how it goes :)

Rickharris

Are there any other modules other than the rev-ed module, that I can interface with the 'axe to get RGB readout? Apart from the cost, the rev-ed supplied module looks like it would not withstand the hot environment I am looking to use it in.

Cheers gurus!
have a look at this

Perhaps you can hack his ideas.

Mycroft2152

In industry, the color sensor is mounted behind a lens system which foucuses on the spot being measured. This keep the sensor head out of harm's way.

Macbeth and Datacolor are two major manufacturers of color sensng and color matching systems. I used both when doing computerized color matching during my textile career.

Myc