Replacing BAT85 with BAT54

Reading both datasheets they seem to have identical electrical characteristics (or I missed something again:eek:). Would it be OK to use the BAT54 in the enhanced download circuit?
I have several Bat54 in SOD323 package and if I could use them it would solve a space problem in my PCB.

BeanieBots

Just about any schottky will do the job but it must be a schottky type.
The purpose is to clamp the negative input voltage from RS232 to less than -0.3v. A 'regular' diode does not conduct until about 0.6v and so won't do the job.
BAT54 will be fine.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I've used a standard diode in series to block negative voltages which seems to have worked for me ...

Code:
     1N4148       ___
RX >---|>|---.---|___|---> PICAXE
            .|.   22K
            | |
        10K |_|
            _|_ 0V

Mycroft2152

I've used a standard diode in series to block negative voltages which seems to have worked for me ...

Code:
     1N4148       ___
RX >---|>|---.---|___|---> PICAXE
            .|.   22K
            | |
        10K |_|
            _|_ 0V
I would be very careful when using the above circuit with laptops. Many laptops do not provide the "official" RS-232 voltage levels. Adding a 0.6 volt voltage drop from the diode could cause downloading problems. Some PICAXEs, like the 18X, are very sensitive to programming voltage levels.

Myc

BeanieBots

The circuit shown by Hippy is actually my prefered method when using +/-12v RS232 signals because it reduces the -ve drive to 0v as apposed to -0.3v. However, things can get a little 'close' when using a series diode if the signals are only 5v/0v such as is often found on many laptops. However, if you do have 5v/0v serial logic, then of course, you don't need this part of the enhanced download circuit at all.

Just pipped by Mycroft2152 re the 5v logic.

Mycroft2152

The circuit shown by Hippy is actually my prefered method when using +/-12v RS232 signals because it reduces the -ve drive to 0v as apposed to -0.3v. However, things can get a little 'close' when using a series diode if the signals are only 5v/0v such as is often found on many laptops. However, if you do have 5v/0v serial logic, then of course, you don't need this part of the enhanced download circuit at all.

Just pipped by Mycroft2152 re the 5v logic.
I found out about the 18x sensitivity the hard way. I had an old Thinkpad laptop that would program 08Ms perfectly. but souldn;t prgram an 18X. I ended up making a simple TTL inverter buffer adapter and it worked.

Myc