Remoting an IR receiver

ZOR

I have a Vishay IR receiver on a pcb being used with the Picaxe shop remote control, using Irin with Picaxe 20M2. I want to move the pcb to another location and have an arrangement to send Irout by wire to an IR emitter facing the Vishay device.

This would end up as a local IR receiver that I can use my remote on, connected to a cable with an IR emitter facing the pcb mounted Vishay receiver. I was going to do something a while back and seem to think somebody suggested an opto coupler somewhere in the link.. Any suggestions, thanks

Vishay receiver TSOP2240

inglewoodpete

....This would end up as a local IR receiver that I can use my remote on, connected to a cable with an IR emitter facing the pcb mounted Vishay receiver. I was going to do something a while back and seem to think somebody suggested an opto coupler somewhere in the link.....
I find your description confusing. Perhaps you could provide a drawing of what you want to do. Are you saying you want an IR relay point? Or just a TSOP2240 IR receiver on long leads?

ZOR

Thanks inglewoodpete, will try and do a picture.

Basically I am wanting to have a panel on the wall with a TSOP2240 IR receiver where I can point a remote to, but have the output of the unit now have a wire link to the unit I have now moved away which also has a TSOP2240 receiver on. In other words an IR extender. The current unit has a Picaxe 20M2 using Irin. If I find a better way to explain then will try and do a picture. Thanks

ZOR

REMOTELED.jpg

This is the best drawing I can do off the shelf. No electronics shown, just the concept. Can I go from IR receiver to IR emitter to IR receiver ?

erco

View attachment 19911

This is the best drawing I can do off the shelf. No electronics shown, just the concept. Can I go from IR receiver to IR emitter to IR receiver ?
No. First, the sensor is active low, so it will invert the signal. Second, the sensor can't output the current that the IR LED needs. Third, the LED needs 38 kHz modulation. At a minimum you'd need an oscillator, perhaps an LM555 for modulation. Better yet, use an 08M2 to decode relay the IR signal. Easy peezy.

Or use an RF link (433 Mhz pair is $1) to get from room to room instead of IR. Easier peezier.

ZOR

Many thanks erco. The idea of the wirelless link would have it's advantages, however what methods would I need to get the muliples I get from the remote control, not just an on/off device, 12 modes. Regards

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Rather than use a TSOP receiver which demodulates the signal it may be better to use an IR photodiode or phototransistor and buffer that straight to an IR LED.

ZOR

Thanks hippy. Do you mean the TSOP at the remote end or the local point at with remote end. Bit confused how the IR photodiode or phototransistor will understand the signals a remote control device would be sending.
I would be happy to have a new local device on the wall with a TSOP reveiver on with 08M2 to send PWM via 433mhz but cannot find references on doing it. The unit I am planning to move away has a 20M2 on board with spare PWM input pin C.5, so I could easily put a 344mhz receiver in and put the PMW signal into C.5. Does that make any sense or am I going to get the men with white coats to take me away?

Something like this to build
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Marmitek-PowerMid-XL-infrared-extender/dp/B000GIXH42/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1467365704&sr=8-3&keywords=wireless+tv+ir+extender

Last edited:

westaust55

The photo diode or transistor does not decode the signal.
It will receive any and all IR signals and pass them onto the IR LED.
The IR receiver will demodulate so the original data (serial comms) is passed the the receiving PICAXE.

I did something very similar many years ago to control my stereo from another room.
For the IR LEDs depending upon the distance in loved (in my case was IR LEDs to stereo amp = 7 meters) you may need to boost the signal from the IR LEDs by (a) having 2 or 3 LEDs (these can be in series) and running at a higher current (closer to the ~20 mA LED limit).

ZOR

Thanks westaust55, now clearer. Will now look to see how to insert 433mhz in the system.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I would be happy to have a new local device on the wall with a TSOP reveiver on with 08M2 to send PWM via 433mhz but cannot find references on doing it.
Probably because it's an application no one would have created and one must wonder why one would want to make things so incredibly complicated. You will simply be making things more difficult for yourself with a greater chance of it not working or having problems.

Personally I would just put a TSOP on the end of some three core cable. The demodulated IR is slow enough that a long cable should not affect the signal and paralleling this TSOP-on-a-wire with the original TSOP should be easy.

One can buy IR range extenders / IR repeaters in shops. Some are quite expensive but there are cheap systems. There are even commercial IR extenders which do use RF.

ZOR

Thanks hippy. I just liked the idea of eliminating the need for hard wiring. I think I will look for a cheap commercial extender as you suggest, rather than reinventing the wheel.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I just liked the idea of eliminating the need for hard wiring.
That's understandable but don't forget you will probably still need some hard wiring to get power to both the transmitter and receiver.