Re-engineering with an 08M

BCJKiwi

Hippy,

I understand that.

Another poster suggested (if I understood the post correctly) that since the circuit requires power to run at all times (drive the PICAXE etc), when off there would be no power to the DC supply as there was no circuit as there was no connection to Neutral.

As I have indicated, this is not an issue with the existing circuit so don't anticipate an issue with the revised circuit.

Dippy

"As the Triac circuit may require less continuous draw than the LED drain on the SSR, the 100K may require reducing to maintain the charge on the 220uF cap when the lights are on and the SSR LED is on. Will test and verify...."
- that is my main query. I can't see how you can supply enough continuous mA for the PICAXE+sundries+SSR via a 100K resistor.

Was that circuit for use with 'old fashioned' bulbs?

I'd hardly say this was a "classic" transformerless supply.
Most other designs are similar to the ones seen in that App Note. and your Post#29SChematic:2.
And high-efficiency ones will use a buck-style s/mode, though that can have some painful aspects.

If this is simple on/off switching (no 'dimming') then the most power-efficient way is to use a Triac and tickle it at each Zcross.
This drastically reduces average current consumption.
This, below, is a basic for a TRIAC drive from PIC (only any good really as it stands at USA AC volts).

For 240V AC I am replacing the R1,R2 combo with a 470nFX2+100R/1W combo.
Using zcross sense we can briefly trigger the TRIAC at the right times.
And whilst the TRIAC requires current at the gate, the pulse means average currents are kept down so a lower power PSU design can be used.
The zcross voltage will be -0.6 to + Vzener therefore, via a res, safe for PIC input.(PG3)

And whilst I appreciate you want the circuit 95% original, it's just some food for thought. Good luck.

BCJKiwi

Thanks for posting the circuit. I had looked at the App Note referred to.

As per posts #17 & 37, the Original product is designed for Incandescent, Flourescent, CFL and Dichrioc Halogen max 600VA, min 7VA. The Triac is rated at 8A and there is a large heat sink.

We have used it on 450W, 400W & 300W loads using incandescents, and 60W of CFL, all show the same behaviour.