Rayax 998

julianE

Hi, has anyone used the Rayax998 module with a picaxe chip? I did a quick search but haven't found any postings on the forum.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

inglewoodpete

When I put Rayex998 into Google it came up blank (I have no idea what you are referring to). It will help others to help you if you include a link to the manufacturer's data on the product.

kfjl

The factory settings put the baud rate at 115200, so you might need a faster chip to send the first AT commands to slow it down enough for a picaxe.
You'll need to run a picaxe on 3.3V or use a voltage adapter.
Putting two modules too close together can damage them. I don't know exactly how close but I'd keep them a few metres apart.

AllyCat

Hi,
When I put Rayex998 into Google it came up blank (I have no idea what you are referring to). It will help others to help you if you include a link to the manufacturer's data on the product.
Yes indeed, particularly if you're going to mis-spell REYAX as RAYEX. ;)

It's quite possible for PICaxe's HSEROUT to send single "characters" at 115,200 Baud, the only issue is if the receiving chip will tolerate significant inter-character gaps. Not tested, but since it appears that you only need to send one string of, for example, AT+IPR=9600 , a dedicated HSEROUT 0,("AT+IPR=9600") or at worst a linear string of POKESFR TXREG , "A" : POKESFR TXREG ,"T" : ... etc. (where TXREG = $7A) should be sufficient, probably with a SETFREQ of M16 or M32 .

But interestingly, the Data Sheet appears to show an "Idle Low" serial protocol, which is the original RS232 Polarity, (as used by PICaxe) rather than the more normal (inverted) "RS232-TTL" polarity (when a "MAX232" type interface chip is not used). Of course either Polarity probably needs the Levels limited to 3.3 volts. PICaxe has no problems Transmitting either Polarity of signal, but sadly a "mistake" in the (M2) base PIC hardware design prevents the Reception of High-Speed Idle-Low RS232 signals (i.e. using HSERIN style commands), so an input inverter may be required :( , (which might also give some degree of input over-voltage protection).

Cheers, Alan.

Last edited:

julianE

Thanks Gents. Sorry for my terrible posting, all the years of idleness has made me careless.

I have the module hooked up to my PC using an FTDI cable and have been playing with the AT command set. The baud rate can be set lower, I'll probably use it at 9600. Looks like an easy module to interface to the Picaxe. I'll start working on it this week and probably have questions along the way.

here is the Link to the product, plenty of tutorials for use with 'duino.

terribly sorry for the poor opening post. all the very best.

julianE

Hi,

Yes indeed, particularly if you're going to mis-spell REYAX as RAYEX. ;)

It's quite possible for PICaxe's HSEROUT to send single "characters" at 115,200 Baud, the only issue is if the receiving chip will tolerate significant inter-character gaps. Not tested, but since it appears that you only need to send one string of, for example, AT+IPR=9600 , a dedicated HSEROUT 0,("AT+IPR=9600") or at worst a linear string of POKESFR TXREG , "A" : POKESFR TXREG ,"T" : ... etc. (where TXREG = $7A) should be sufficient, probably with a SETFREQ of M16 or M32 .

But interestingly, the Data Sheet appears to show an "Idle Low" serial protocol, which is the original RS232 Polarity, (as used by PICaxe) rather than the more normal (inverted) "RS232-TTL" polarity (when a "MAX232" type interface chip is not used). Of course either Polarity probably needs the Levels limited to 3.3 volts. PICaxe has no problems Transmitting either Polarity of signal, but sadly a "mistake" in the (M2) base PIC hardware design prevents the Reception of High-Speed Idle-Low RS232 signals (i.e. using HSERIN style commands), so an input inverter may be required :( , (which might also give some degree of input over-voltage protection).

Cheers, Alan.
fixed the mis-spell.

julianE

Well, I had some success today. I'm using a PC on the transmit side and a picaxe 08M2 on the receive side. Using simple serin C.1, T9600_8,B12,B13
I am getting data when i transmit 2 characters. The data is consistent but does not correspond to what i'm sending.
I'm thinking next step is to try it with arduino and also try an inverter circuit. I'm fairly sure it can be made to work with a picaxe.
I am powering everything with 3.3V.