Quick Capacitive Sensor question

artswan

Just a quick question. I am assuming that the Touch commands on the new 18M2 are also useful for other capacitive sensors such as capacitive humidity sensors, etc. Is that right?

John West

If you mean as a "wet/not wet" sensor then that may be the case, depending on the sensor. Experimental results may vary.

As I understand it, the command is configured to be an "on/off" type of function, not an analog measurement.

artswan

Well Touch16, for example, shows it's use on an ADC channel and the result saved to a 10-bit variable. Indicating an analog(ish) result. I just wanted to know if there were any caveats or safety issues to worry about.

John West

I would expect that would depend on how you were powering the PICAXE. No problem I know of from battery power, but there are all sorts of right and wrong ways of powering a PICAXE from the mains. Can you show us a schematic or data on the power supply you expect to use?

Also, what is the nature of the environment the humidity sensor would be in? Meaning, what's the proposed application?

artswan

None, yet. Just general experimentation. Was thinking of purchasing a couple of inexpensive HS1101 sensors for about $5.00 a piece and see what happens.

fernando_g

artswan:
your idea sound intriguing...yeah, make a little experiment and see what happens.

However, you may need a calibrated temeprature/humidity sensor alongside when you are doing that to compare and correlate the ADC values with actual %RH readings.

I know for instance, that most humidity sensors have a substantial temperature coefficient, which must be used to correct the raw reading. Additionally, the results most likely would be non-linear, and you will require a lookup table to convert them to meaningful %RH values.

Lastly, I suspect that the capacitive readings could also have some supply voltage dependency, just like a normal ADC readings. As such, I would ensure when you perform the experiments that the supply voltage is accurate and recorded...of course the best would be to use a variable supply to adjust it to exactly +5.00 volts and eliminate that variable.

All in all, this can be a very nice experiment to perform. Even though the conclusion could be that the idea is not useable, you will have practiced and learned a lot of new concepts.

Have it a go!