eclectic

I've subscribed to the Web Silicon Chip for two years,
and I'm about to renew my subscription.

However, there hasn't been ANYTHING new on the site since

01 April.

Is there a problem with the mag?

e.

manuka

I appreciate the rites of spring are underway "up top", but us colonials are entering autumn hibernation mode, with no doubt attendant site tardiness. AFAIK SiChip is busier than ever, & they presently have me roped in on several articles (20M, HopeRF, & a 08M bakers dozen). Use as a guide the number of SiCh. monthly mag pages, as their 96 standard is regularly now exceeded. I often idly contrast this with the UK Wireless World (now Elect. World), which has thinned away almost to the point of transperency...

Stan (a SiChip regular contributor)

Last edited:

moxhamj

The paper May issue has been sitting in my waiting room for the last 10 days. If you are renewing, I wonder if the paper issue might be better than the online issue?

manuka

Eclectic-I'd say your approach may well be to just drop by Dr_A's for an appointment each month? Ensure you have something medical to check out at the same time, although with the Barossa Valley wines just up his road that shouldn't be too hard!

westaust55

Eclectic-I'd say your approach may well be to just drop by Dr_A's for an appointment each month? Ensure you have something medical to check out at the same time, although with the Barossa Valley wines just up his road that shouldn't be too hard!
A drop of red wine for the heart is what the good Doctor's (here in WA) promote

and think of the frequent flyer points your would rack up . . . .

moxhamj

An expensive subscription indeed. Though I have some suspicions about some patients who I'm sure come in to read the electronics magazines rather than to see me...

inglewoodpete

Doc, A Silicon Chip mag in the waiting room would be a breath of fresh air. Maybe I should move to Adelaide.

Speaking of air, I think the air-head receptionists have full control of the reading material in my local surgery - nothing but gossip magazines. Now if Kylie or Tom or Heather were to buy a PICAXE.....

BrendanP

Get in touch with the editor, Leo Simpson I think his name is,and give him a spray. The old pedagogue likes to pontificate and moralise on a broad range of subjects, sounds like he should spend more time working on the mag.

Dippy

a spray?

Uzi?
Water-pistol?
Hair spray?
Paint?
Deodourant?
Tom cat?

All of the above?

Sounds a bit unpleasant.

Might be better to write him a nice letter.

"pontificate and moralise on a broad range of subjects.."
- mmm... sounds like he ought to post on this Forum too then :)

moxhamj

In my dealings with SC, I'd say Leo Simpson is a really decent chap. Also, I get the impression the magazine may be smaller than we think - my dad rang the magazine once and Leo himself answered the phone.

So if a web issue hasn't arrived, it probably is because they are snowed under or a staff member was sick or something.

As for "pontificate and moralise on a broad range of subjects" - my experience with the Australian medical press (targeted readership of 20,000 or so), is that the best way to get publicity is to pontificate a bit. Say "on the one hand it could be this and on the other hand that" and no-one takes any notice. But say something rather outrageous and it is quite easy to get on the front page. Strong views on subjects tend to sell more copies!

So perhaps write a polite "not for publication" letter first?

Last edited:

BrendanP

vitiriolic abuse traumatise his psyche forever.

No! Write him a letter/email or give him a phone call that will by the power of its vitiriolic abuse traumatise his psyche forever.

eclectic

Brendan.

Re. your post.

There's an old English colloquialism that springs to mind.

"Yer Whaa ?"

e.

who is perhaps going to send them a gentle email.

demonicpicaxeguy

Doc, A Silicon Chip mag in the waiting room would be a breath of fresh air. Maybe I should move to Adelaide.

Speaking of air, I think the air-head receptionists have full control of the reading material in my local surgery - nothing but gossip magazines. Now if Kylie or Tom or Heather were to buy a PICAXE.....
i left a silicon chip magazine in my local doctors waiting room, because i was sick of all the usaul magazines that were there
trouble is i haven't been sick for 2 years

manuka

SiChip (who are indeed only a small operation, with ~½ dozen full time staff) are in fact presently musing the micro trend,as some readers feel they're increasingly ignoring classical electronics in favour of PICAXE approaches. Yeah- well it's all my fault of course, & part of a Kiwi master plan to bring our Aussie neighbour to heel.

Readers letters/emails (refer May 2008 issue) are largely supportive of the trend, but I'd say some posting along the lines of Rodney Champness's "steam radio" vintage column would get a good response. How about asking for an article on clarification of resistor values for the restoration of pre WW2 Atwater Kent battery powered valve radios ? AK, for all their then "hi tech", used an unusual colour code system. See => www.atwaterkent.info/TechData/akResColorCode.html

Last edited:

vk6bgn

Man Oh Man, next time I go see the Doc, I'm going to go see Dr. Acula! Electronics Magazines galore!!! My doctor (female) here in the outback has a 2 foot high stack of Womens Weekly....gag!

There's nothin' better then reading about Diodes, Triodes, Tetrodes, Pentodes and PICAXE's just before the blood pressure thingy goes on the left arm and the needles goin' in the right!

Last edited: