pwmout w?14M chip and the editor wizzard

RexLan

Ok ... looks like the PWM function is only available on I/O2 like the 8M.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I am using a 14M chip and want to use the PWM function on output 0 (leg13).

I select the 14M in the editor (V5.3.1) options.
When I use the editor PWM wizard I can only see the 8M chip and the syntax check says I am using the wrong pin.

If I select the 14M2 chip the editor PWM wizard shows the correct 14M2 chip (which is not what I am using.

How do I use the PWM command on a 14M chip and which pins does it function on ... the manual is clear as mud on that.

Thanks

Last edited:

westaust55

it is not IO2 but Input2.

as HAZELEB says look at page 89.
I have lamented before that page 8 of Manual 1 should also show the PWM for the 14M as it does for some other chips.

RexLan

it is not IO2 but Input2.

as HAZELEB says look at page 89.
I have lamented before that page 8 of Manual 1 should also show the PWM for the 14M as it does for some other chips.
Yes ... thank you. Page 89 is much better and would certainly be helpful if it was just put on page 8!

By chance is there a source for SMT chips in the USA? I have asked Technical but never received a reply.

Thanks again.

westaust55

PWM on the 14M

I note that for PICAXE manuals V7.0 and later the data under the PWMOUT command pertaining to which pin was used for PWM was removed.
Tentatively that is okay in its own right.

However as has been mentioned above and on previous occasions, the pin out diagram near the front of PICAXE manual 1 fail to indicate that the PWM function is on input 2 pin for the 14M. With the data no removed in manual 2 there is far more limited reference for the right pin for the 14M chip.

Even at around page 27 it is not shown for the 14M chip (but is on the same page for the still to be released 14M2)

Hippy/Technical, can Rev Ed please update the pinout diagram for the 14M (albeit now an "older" chip" to reflect the correct pin for PWM.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Hippy/Technical, can Rev Ed please update the pinout diagram for the 14M (albeit now an "older" chip" to reflect the correct pin for PWM.
Request noted.

The decision not to include PWMOUT pin labelling on the earlier pinouts in the manual may reflect its non-advanced use configuration. Including PWMOUT labelling would contradict the 'inputs on the left, outputs on the right' mantra. The allocation of PWMOUT pin and HPWM pins is included in the 14M Advanced Use section.

I am using a 14M chip and want to use the PWM function on output 0 (leg13).
There is no 14M capability for PWM output on Output Pin 0 ( leg 13 ).

I select the 14M in the editor (V5.3.1) options.
When I use the editor PWM wizard I can only see the 8M chip and the syntax check says I am using the wrong pin.
I'm not sure what's going on there as it works for me. Select 14M in View->Options, enter the PWMOUT Wizard and it shows "PICAXE-14M" in the Wizard's "Pin..." area.

As a PWMOUT command for both 08M and 14M is of the form "PWMOUT 2, freq, duty" I cannot see any reason that there would be a syntax error generated whether 08M or 14M selected.

It could be that neither 08M nor 14M are actually selected in View->Options. This can happen when a different PICAXE is selected and #PICAXE 08M or #PICAXE 14M has been specified but the program has not been Syntax Checked or Downloaded. The View->Options selection is only updated to reflect #PICAXE selection on Syntax Check or Download. Anoter possibility is that a #PICAXE option is overwriting the View->Options selection when Syntax Checked or Downloaded.

The PWMOUT Wizard presents a display and options reflecting what is selected in View->Options so the above may also be having an affect on that.

How do I use the PWM command on a 14M chip and which pins does it function on ... the manual is clear as mud on that.
There is no "PWM command" support for the 14M.

The PWMOUT command can be used with Input Pin 2 ( leg 5 ), which turns that input pin into an output. The syntax of the command is "PWMOUT 2, freq, duty".

The HPWM command can be used with its four outputs on Input Pin 2 ( leg 5 ), Input Pin 1 ( leg 6 ), Input Pin 0 ( leg 7 ) and Output Pin 5 ( leg 8 ).