PWM control problem

Diesel62

Hello
I am trying to control a pwm control solenoid it is a valve controlling diesel flow
The problem I have got is it runs at 250hz between 15-85% duty cycle to keep the spool at the correct opening point. that puts me into usec control to get the duty cycle required
Any ideas would be appreciated
Thanks

BrendanP

I was looking at and posted some queries re. using pwm to control a solenoid in various stages of 'stroke' for controlling throttle on a 4 stroke small motor. I'd be interested to hear about what sort of solenoid you're using and if it works at all at the moment. Can you partially open/close the solenoid?

I decided that the throttle control I prosped to use would proabably only work correctly with the manufacturers controll system that they made to go with it.

Diesel62

Brendan
It is the control solenoid in a common rail supply pump (it controls amount of diesel entering).yes I can control it but not fine eneough
Most fly by wire throttles are stepper motors but I suppose you could use solenoid
Thanks

leftyretro

Having worked in the process control industry with solenoids (and actuators) for a long time I might suggest a change of your terminology.

Solenoid = on/off control. Some are AC powered others DC powered. Lots of different operating voltages are avalible. Generally used to activate a valve on or off, but sometimes just for a mechanical travel to one extreme of travel to the other. Usually uses a spring return to the unpowered position.

Actuator (or more properly magnetic actuator) = a electromechanical assembly that moves a follower through a linear or rotary range. Travel is related to the current through the actuator coil. Most commonly DC operated. Sometimes has a spring to move it to a 'rest' position. Some use a +/- current to move the follower from a center rest position, others work from a 0-100% travel.

Lefty