Putting circuits into a Picaxe Chip

billv

Slowly going through VSM Demo, trying to learn it. Great program so far.....
What I really want is to be able to create circuits, and then put them into the Picaxe chip.
Is this possible with VSM??

nick12ab

Slowly going through VSM Demo, trying to learn it. Great program so far.....
What I really want is to be able to create circuits, and then put them into the Picaxe chip.
Too ambiguous... what do you mean by putting a circuit into a PICAXE chip?

A graphical interface for programming a PICAXE to replicate the function of a number of discrete components?

VSM allows you to simulate a PICAXE with BASIC code.

billv

I was hoping to create a circuit, somehow turn it into basic, then incorporate that basic file into the main basic picaxe file.
Then I could build chips from "Hell". maybe I'm hoping for too much......

mrburnette

<...>
@bill,
If you can "make" VSM simulate what you are dreaming, then you can replicate that logic to the physical PICAXE microcontroller - over, and over.
So, if you wanted a "circuit" that turned on a LED every 10 seconds, leave it on for a second, and repeat - no problem.
If you want a circuit that plays cellphone ringtones - no insurmountable problem.
If you want to blink out the temperature in Morse Code - no problem.
Take a look at the variety of projects created in the Finished User Projects From: http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/forum.php and here: http://www.picaxe.com/Project-Gallery

- Ray

billv

That's all good. I get the basics of simulation, and programming pics.
QUOTE:"Replicate that logic"..
Yes, that's what I'm trying to get here. For example:Normaly you would "replicate" the properties of a capacitor in code, Yes?
Yeh, well my coding is scratchy-I was hoping to take a whole circuit, give it an in/out pin, turn it into basic code with one mouse click, then stick it in the chip and keep working or whatever.
Like in "Synthmaker", where you can wrap whole circuits in a "module", then keep going.
I'm new to "chip programming", so bear with me.
Still trying to work out what you can do and what you can't.
Thanks for you help

mrburnette

That's all good. I get the basics of simulation, and programming pics.
QUOTE:"Replicate that logic"..
Yes, that's what I'm trying to get here. For example:Normaly you would "replicate" the properties of a capacitor in code, Yes?
Yeh, well my coding is scratchy-I was hoping to take a whole circuit, give it an in/out pin, turn it into basic code with one mouse click, then stick it in the chip and keep working or whatever.
So, a capacitor has an effect on an electrical signal such that current "leads" voltage - that is, the phase angle. An inductor, well then voltage leads current. The PICAXE and integer math makes it difficult to synthezise the math for these components. Resistors and voltage dividers can be mimicked in integer code, but math function are really not sophisticated sufficiently in the PICAXE. Essentially you are discussing a SPICE engine and these simulations are beyond a PICAXE and IMO beyond most breed of micro controllers... the simulations equations must all be in RAM and uC chips lack the RAM to support anything beyond a simple node analysis.

Check out the sophistication of the Java-based SPICE here: htt [url]http://www.falstad.com/circuit/ p://[/URL]

- Ray