Put picaxe into IC socket before putting it into a breadboard

BrendanP

Some of the younger members might be unaware of this tip.

When using a picaxe in a bread board it is a good idea to first put it into a IC socket. Then you can put it in and pull it out of your bread board as many times as you like without having to be worried about mutilating/bending/snaping off the legs.

If you damage the socket legs put the picaxe into another. You could put the picaxe into one socket then that socket into another. Then you would never expose the picaxe legs to stress even when changing sockets. IC sockets are cheap, especially when compared to the larger picaxe IC's.

To sperate the picaxe form the socekt carefully use a small screwdriver with a fine blade to prise them apart. Lever each end apart a little at a time. Don't ry and do it all from one end or youll will bend the legs.

manuka

Brendan- good points! Some IC sockets however have pins that are quite flimsy, &/or too short for reliable contacts. I have never bothered with IC sockets on breadboards, BUT I INSIST ON THEIR PCB/VERO SOLDERED USE!

kranenborg

I agree with manuka concerning the flimsy legs that the cheapest sockets have. Better quality sockets have round, sturdy pins that probaby are excellent for use

/Jurjen

demonicpicaxeguy

another idea is to use a zif socket (zero insertion force) they fit on the breadboards and also into the 18x starterkit socket as well

ylp88

Indeed, I cannot use the normal IC sockets to work on breadboards as the pins don't make contact with the board, although the machine pinned type sockets do work, but I rarely have any on hand for prototyping. ZIF sockets always work for me but as with machine pinned sockets, I only have one or two around and they are only the 18-pin variety at that.

A very good tip nonetheless if you can get it working. I've had to solder several short wires to pins of microntrollers after they have snapped off and the result is less than appealing!

ylp88

jaka

Long legs

Hi. I use wire wrap sockets. They have legs around 20mm long. Simply trim them down to about 10mm. Fits on to breadboard nicely.
Trouble is, wire wrapping parts seems to be going the way of the Dodo but Farnell still have a few.

Jaka.

BrendanP

I was thinking after I posted that I should of mentioned that there are serveral different types of breadboards with holes in them of slightly different depths and diameters. Some fit machined IC sockets well. The machined sockets are very robust but cost a bit more than the standard types.

inglewoodpete

Some of you may recall the minimum operating circuit (MOC) that I posted a few months ago.

http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7711

The example posted uses a machined DIL socket, which is more robust than the PIC chip. It also has the benefit of allowing the PICAXE to be downloaded and/or tested before being plugged into the breadboad or final circuit board.

Hey Dr_Acula, I have one of those simple chip removers dating back 25 years.