Project PCB

Gramps

Good morning,
FINALLY ready to move Shadowbot's electronics off the breadboard.
Does anyone have a source for a PCB that would accommodate a 28 chip, power supply and the USB download cable?
Would a Picaxe-08 Proto Board have room to add a 20 pin socket in front of the 8 pin to receive a 28 pin chip?
Other solutions?
Thanks, Gramps

inglewoodpete

Good morning,
FINALLY ready to move Shadowbot's electronics off the breadboard.
Does anyone have a source for a PCB that would accommodate a 28 chip, power supply and the USB download cable?
Would a Picaxe-08 Proto Board have room to add a 20 pin socket in front of the 8 pin to receive a 28 pin chip?
Other solutions?
Thanks, Gramps
I can't see that working. The relationship between the power and programming pins is not compatible. The 8, 14 and 20 pin PICAXEs are the only ones that could be interchanged. The 18-, 28- and 40-pin chips each have their own unique power and programming pinouts.

I would use a veroboard/stripboard or protoboard to do what you want.

lbenson

I don't know if it would be suitable for your project, but I made the 28X2 PCB shown in post 3 of This thread

If it looks useful to you, I can send you gerbers and JLCPCB would make it up for about $6 for 5 pieces (slow boat shipping). Or I can send you the Eaglecad files and you can modify as needed.

Gramps

is not compatible
Right. Thought of that later.
. Is this the sort of thing you are after?
Yes it would work but it's a little pricey.
If it looks useful to you, I can send you gerbers and JLCPCB would make it up for about $6 for 5 pieces (slow boat shipping
Thanks for the offer! I only need 2 right now. We can home brew them. Just didn't want to reinvent the wheel if someone already had a cheap source.

lbenson

Thanks for the offer! I only need 2 right now. We can home brew them. Just didn't want to reinvent the wheel if someone already had a cheap source.
Sure, but you can home brew for less than $6? How cheap is a cheap source?

Most of my blank PCBs are in Nova Scotia, but I might have some 28x2 PCBs here in Crystal River, not so far from you. If I can find some (different varieties of 28X2 PCBs), would you like me to mail you some?

lbenson

If you're not familiar with WestAust55's graphical Pebble Breadboard layout program, available here, this might be a good time to try it.

Bare 28x2:
Text file to load to get above:
Code:
IC||40|210|1||U?|||PICAXE28X2|IC||PICAXE28X2_1
Wire||263|17|21||11|#FF0000|3|11||10|
Wire||290|44|21||11|#000000|2|11||10|
Terminal||173|336|1||TS?||3|4|PGM||terminal_431
Wire||236|402|21||11|#000000|3|11||10|
Resistor|10000|177|405|2|Resistor|R?||2||IC||
Resistor|4700|42|377|2|Resistor|R?||2||IC||
Terminal||281|171|1||TS?||3|4|TCP||terminal_431
Terminal||389|171|1||TS?||4|4|RTC||terminal_441
Wire||478|44|21||11|#000000|2|11||10|
Wire||452|17|21||11|#FF0000|3|11||10|
Wire||425|209|21||11|#FFFF00|3|11||10|
Wire||398|319|11||11|#FFFF00|1|11||10|
Resistor|4700|420|20|2|Resistor|R?||2||IC||
Resistor|4700|393|20|2|Resistor|R?||2||IC||
Note||11|7|1||||1||28 Bare||NOTEPAD_11
BREADBOARDSTYLE=BB51
SHOWTHETOPAREA=false

lbenson

"Save or Load" button on far left brings up editing window; delete what's in it, paste in the lines from the post above, press "Load Circuit".

AllyCat

Hi,

Copy the file into the clipboard and then click the "Save or Load" button. Paste in the text (over what is there) and select "Load Circuit". To store a new file, do the reverse by copying into the clipboard and paste into Notepad (or your preference).

Note that the final entry in the pull-down list of "Boards" (e.g. 64R Pwr-...) is "General Stripboard" with a further option to "Set General Stripboard" (size). The view is from the components side.

Cheers. Alan.

lbenson

The first line is "IC||40|210|1||U?|||PICAXE28X2|IC||PICAXE28X2_1", so if you copied the whole file, I'm not sure how you got an 8-pin chip.

Try "Save or Load" again and make sure the first line is correct. Otherwise, you can right-click on the 8-pin chip and select the 28x2.

bpowell

You can always roll your own PCB ... here is one I use for 28-pin PIC chips ... the serial connector (upper right) is wired to the HSERIN and HSEROUT ports on a PICAXE ... so this could be modified pretty easily for PICAXE use ... in the prototyping area on the lower 2/3 of the PCB, the silk-screen shows how the pins are connected (e.g. 1&2 are connected, 3&4 are connected, 5, 6, and 7 are connected).

This design has worked pretty well for me!

Solar Mike

I will release this board into the public domain:
28X2 module, all pins on one side, fit a rt angle header and you can plug it into your breadboard etc.

Top 37 x 78mm:

Gerber files are attached, drop the zip file on JLCPCB page to load for a quote JLCPBC

Dont know if I have a schematic, will have a look, been ages since I used Picaxe as have moved on to use PI Pico.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

lbenson

Triple checked.
If you right-click on the blank 8-pin chip, can you scroll down and select 28x2?

A further thought: I have pebble versions for IE and Firefox. Which are you using, and which browser?

Last edited:

lbenson

P_for_FF is the file for Firefox, P_for_IE for Internet explorer. There is no executable--they are html files. I'm not sure which is best for any of the other varieties of browser. I use P_for_FF.

Gramps

Chrome is already on this machine and that was what I was trying to use. I think I'll download Firefox and try it on there.

lbenson

Is that Firefox? Have you unzipped (extracted) P_for_FF.html and all the other files (which the program needs)?

Back in Chrome, if you right-click on the 8-pin IC, can you see the "28x2" as an option?

Gramps

I see! after the part is moved to the breadboard THEN right click!
But when we changed it to 28 pin dip, and hit OK, it did not change.
We clicked on other parts, too. Changed the pushbutton to a switch, but switch does not appear.........

Last edited:

lbenson

It sounds like you might not have all the accompanying files in the same path as P_for_FF.html. It's necessary to extract the entire contents of the pebble.zip file and then run P_for_FF from the folder that you have extracted to.

Gramps

There is an online Pebble at robotgear.com that works! Even loads the test program from post #9.
My son, oldbitcollecter, will help me load Pebble to my machine this weekend.
How to convert a Pebble breadboard diagram into a PCB?

Last edited:

papaof2

Perhaps copy the Pebble board to DipTrace one wire/part at a time?
The free version of DipTrace works well to produce a Gerber file.

Solar Mike

Perhaps copy the Pebble board to DipTrace one wire/part at a time?
The free version of DipTrace works well to produce a Gerber file.
My 28 pin Picaxe PCB further back is done in Diptrace; if anyone wants the original file to further modify it as required, let me know and I will send it to you.

Cheers
Mike

Gramps

My 28 pin Picaxe PCB further back is done in Diptrace; if anyone wants the original file to further modify it as required, let me know and I will send it to you.

Cheers
Mike
Thanks for the offer Mike, I have never used Diptrace but would like to learn. Please send the file ! Gramps